settling (part 1)

"Yeah, they'll be here. Don't worry, somebody will... somebody will turn up." red said, looking down in defeat. Knowing damn well they're alone here.

Even though there was a fireplace running, the air still felt cold. Nothing can outdo the feeling of disappointment running through red's mind though, where the hell were they? This place doesn't look like a neighborhood!

Yellow guy was so excited too. They all were, red had been dreaming for something new, something different. Something other than the cycle of horror that occurred repeatedly.

He doesn't want to go back; he wonders if it even is possible. Something about this place feels...

Out of bounds. Like they weren't supposed to have seen it.

Duck had been writing down his visual inventory on his clipboard, it was starting to get annoying, fast.

"One stick, one piece of filth- "

"Would you stop that?" red ordered.

"Well, we can't stay here forever! I'm getting bored. It's dull, nothing like what you said it would be." duck exclaimed in his usual shrill and annoying voice.

Perhaps it was time to explore then, the transport man is, well... dead. So they can't really go anywhere far. This was no time to regret his decision however, it didn't matter how bad their situation is right now, there is simply no way he's going back to that house.

Red suddenly got up, and walked away, looking for something. Anything really, like... food or water, they needed that, don't they?

"Hey, what are you doing?" duck asked, red was searching through some junk.

"Scavenging. Why don't you make yourself useful and help?" red huffed out.

"There's nothing worth looking at, its all just junk. It's your fault in the first place, you led us here!" duck complains, man was he getting on red's nerves.

Well, it WAS his fault, yes. But is it really a fault when they finally get to do something new? Something that hopefully won't end up with them getting decapitated.

As he was looking through some garbage, he notices a bright orange piece of plastic. He shoves away the excess, and low and behold!

A cooler.

He opened it up, it was filled to the brim with water. Clearly having had a bunch of ice in it that had melted, the water was clean! Old, yes; but it was clean water, nonetheless. Now they won't have to die of dehydration.

For once, red had a feeling of accomplishment.

"And you said it was all junk. Anyone thirsty?" he showed it off. Duck looked pissed, whilst yellow guy, who had been upset the entire time, raised his hand and exclaimed, "me, me!" in joy.

Perhaps this won't be this bad after all, maybe they CAN take care of themselves without those things telling them what to do. They have their own choice now, and Red will not let anyone else dictate those choices ever again.

It had been 1 hour now; they were all camping out in this wasteland. Maybe there was a sliver of hope in his head that something will happen, but nothing did. No teachers, no random songs, simply nothing.

Well, its probably for the best. Although it DID feel weird, having this much freedom over what to do, what to say. Back then, he had always found himself unable to say whatever it was in his head. Like his brain is telling him to say something, but his body does something completely different.

Like some kind of... script.

Like how the people in Grelton and Hovris speak, like they're talking to somebody.

An audience.

They had set up a camp before it got fully dark, they used old scraps and abandoned furniture to build something that can be lived in. temporary of course, there's no way they're staying here forever. He wants to see the world, even if it's all ruined.

A sense of adventure filled his brain, he will take his friends with him as they venture through lands they would have never seen if they had stayed in that house.

They were all exhausted by now though, building the fort took a surprising amount of work. Yellow looked quite proud of himself after helping, while duck looked agitated and homesick the entire time, as usual.

It was finally starting to feel warm, maybe the coldness he felt before wasn't the temperature.

"So, what do you guys think?" Red asks the others; they were all huddled near the campfire in their respected areas, duck sipping on the water with a plastic straw he found.

"I like our home better, at least we had our own food!" duck complains, again.

"at least give a little credit..." red mumbles under his breath.

Well, he doesn't expect them to just suddenly adapt. Yellow guy seems to be content though, being the ray of sunshine he is, always seeing the positive side to things.

"I like it actually! It feels different, but if I'm with you guys, I'm fine with anything" yellow said, with an adorable smile on his face.

"Alright, here's the plan then; we all camp out here till morning, and we'll go searching for food. I bet you're all hungry, yeah?" they both nod in agreement.

They all agreed as to where each one of them should sleep; they found an olive torn up couch that had been left by someone.

It was the best they could get really; it could only fit two of them though. Red opted for being the one who sleeps on the floor, he didn't want any of them getting bit by bugs or something. And he was too big to fit on the couch.

Yellow felt bad, but red insisted. It was for the best

They were all getting tired by the second, it was a long day, and they all needed the long-awaited rest.

After making sure duck and yellow were asleep, Red felt his eyes close, finally succumbing to his fatigue.