Part One

"And exactly how do you plan on doing this?" James asked his son, his eyes filled with judgment. Some fathers would be proud to find out their child is following their own dreams. Those are the ones that have a 'World's Greatest Dad' mug sitting in their cabinet, the inside nearly black from the three plus cups of joe drunk from it every day for years on end. But James drank his coffee out of a plain white mug, and not the same one every single day. He had a set of twelve and each was still sparkling white, not a stain or spot in sight. He could thank his wife for that, but probably won't.

"Well I don't know if it's something you can plan out. I just paint when I feel inspired and once I finish something I put it out there and hope someone buys it," said Ralph with ease in his voice. It was less nerve-racking talking to his father about his life now then it was when he was younger, "and people do buy them Dad. I've gained a little following since my exhibit in Richmond. The gallery owner sees a lot of potential in me, and he said people really liked my work!"

His smile made his mom grin too, which then made Ralph smile even wider. He hates how his mother is always sitting by his father's side, wanting to speak out but her nervous tendencies keep her lips closer than a flame to a wick. But during this weekend that he has spent at their estate she had seemed more independent from him. Even in that moment she was sitting on the other side of the table from his father, something he has never seen her do in the twenty-eight years he has known them.

"Oh Ralphie how wonderful, good for you!" She belted out with joy. If Ralph had a way to capture this moment beyond just his memory he would have and held onto it forever. He could not remember the last time his mother looked as happy as she did just then. It seemed like the sun was shining all around her, making her more radiant than the miles of rolling green hills that stretched behind the marble laid patio they sat on. He gave her a heartfelt glance and was about to thank her when James had, like always, something to say.

"Don't give him praise for this Marsha he's wasting his life! He could have gone to college and could be making some real money. And you, don't you call that work. Those... scribbles you do? That's nothing more than you goofing off! You have no idea what it's like to actually work, what it's like to devote your life to it. To be kept up at night because instead of sleeping your mind is going over responsibilities and duties you need to perform the next day. No, no. You've had it too easy, but I can blame myself for that...and your mother too. She made you too soft," at this point in his father's expression of his disappointment, Ralph's smile had completely disappeared from his now vacant face. There was something in his voice when he spoke next that his father took as anger, but his mother saw as a loss of interest.

"You know what dad you're absolutely right. I have no idea what any of that is like. All I know how to do is 'goof off' and waste my life. What good am I to society if I don't have a degree and can't fall in line right? I'm no better than those liberal snowflakes you hate so much huh? You just won't admit it because I'm your son, but that's ok. I've pretty much taken care of that now haven't I?" He stood up and pushed his chair in. Walking past his father to get to Marsha, he leaned down and gave her a hug and a kiss that left her cheek a little wet. James could barely hear him whisper 'Love you mama' and was surprised he heard it at all; the hearing aid he had been using was nearing its final days. Ralph looked back at his dad and before leaving he said, "I'll see myself out."

The following day as James headed into work he found himself feeling rather peaceful. The sun was shining down bright on his little slice of Virginia, finally warming it after this past winter. Marsha had been calling it the most brutal winter they have had but James doesn't agree. He thinks she is just getting old, and expects for her to say the same thing about next winter, and the winter after that. But she will have to get used to it. There is no way in hell James is going to move to Florida, or any other state that would be warm enough for her for that matter.