1.

Perched in the bay window of her top-floor bedroom, Sarada Uchiha sat with her opened journal on her lap

Perched in the bay window of her top-floor bedroom, Sarada Uchiha sat with her opened journal on her lap. She stared out at the dense forest behind her house, searching for the words to explain what was going on with her.

The days were already growing shorter as summer simmered into fall, but Sarada had decided to take a gap year before starting college. She wanted to "find herself" as she told her mother, who had been endlessly supportive of the idea. The problem was she didn't know where to start.

Maybe that was a lie. Most of the questions that plagued her about her identity were rooted in her father, or rather, lack thereof.

It was a subject her mother dodged with practice until Sarada inevitably stopped asking. But her curious young mind couldn't help but want to fill in the gaps. Maybe he was married to another woman. Maybe he had another daughter that he loved more. Maybe he was dead.

She had a few vague memories of a dark-haired stranger showing up at their house. Then again that might have been a dream, a subconscious explanation for her coloring being so vastly different from that of her bright-eyed mother.

An image of raven hair and eyes as dark as the midnight sky reflected off the window back at her. Surely her father had the same features, right?

Sarada exhaled a sigh for the dozenth time as her gaze fell to her near-empty journal page.

'It happened again.'

It being... Well, she didn't really have a name for it. But about six months ago, shortly after her eighteenth birthday, the strangest things began happening to her. Things Sarada couldn't explain.

She definitely wasn't crazy, though she hesitated to tell her mom about what was happening and have her think just that. The last thing her hardworking, single mother needed was to have to commit her own daughter to the psych ward of the hospital she worked at. This small town was already full of gossip.

This most recent incident was like many of the others before it. Sarada wanted something to happen, and then it just happened.

Without her getting up, items she wanted would come to her. Without saying anything, people she didn't want to talk to would simply cut themselves off and walk away. Even now, this gloomy weather rolling in seemed to reflect her current mood, making Sarada question if she was somehow the cause.

Raindrops rhythmically tapped against her window until she finally stole her gaze from the darkened forest behind her house. She closed her journal and tucked it under her pillow, deciding she would try to find the words before bed.