Mr Bridgerton

On the first night of the 1815 season, the Bridgerton family was sat down in the dinning room table at their main residence in London. They were currently eating dinner which included Scottish style hand pies which the housekeeper Mrs Wilson had arranged for to celebrate Francesca's debut, as she had taken a recent interest in Scotland. Usually when dinner was brought out it was what would capture all of Colin Bridgerton's attention but tonight his mind was focused on something else entirely:

"Good day, Mr Bridgerton," Penelope said in a cool voice as she passed Colin and gave him the sort of polite smile that lacked its usual warmth and was more like the one given to a stranger or a mere acquaintance rather than a friend.

"She called me Mr Bridgerton," Colin mumbled as he continued to play with his food.

Benedict and Eloise, who were sitting either side of Colin, jumped slightly at his sudden dialogue, as he had been quite for the rest of the meal, before rolling their eyes and continuing on with their own meals (They had all seen Colin's brief interaction with Penelope earlier and he hadn't been in a good mood since).

Everyone was still getting used to the new seating arrangements at the table with Kate joining as the new lady of the house and taking their mother's former spot at the table opposite Anthony, as well as Gregory recently leaving for Eton, this had led to several others having to be moved as well. Though, the Bridgertons in general had never given much thought to seating arrangements unless there was an important guest present.

"So Fran, did anyone catch your eye at the ball tonight?" Kate asked Francesca, who was sitting next to Eloise who proceeded to roll her eyes at the new topic of conversation.

Kate didn't know Francesca as well as the other Bridgertons and had made an effort to get to known her better while preparing her for her debut. Although Francesca had been present at Aubrey Hall when Kate and her family had first visited with Lady Danbury, she hadn't taken part in the annual pall-mall game or the other festivities very much and had left for Bath shortly after to stay with the Bridgerton's honorary aunt Winnie to practice her pianoforte.

"Well, I quite enjoyed dancing with the Earl of Kilmartin," Francesca said, happily, her cheeks blushing at the mere thought of the dance they'd shared. He had been so handsome and kind.

"Don't go picking out the colour of your wedding dress out just yet Fran," Benedict joked, causing Eloise and Hyacinth to chuckle.

"She called me Mr Bridgerton," Colin mumbled again.

This time, Anthony, Kate and Violet glanced towards him but when he didn't elaborate on it anymore they returned back to their food and conversation with the rest of the family.

"What about you Eloise?" Violet asked her second eldest daughter. "Did anyone catch your eye?"

Both Anthony and Benedict hid their laughter but trying to take a sip from their wine glasses. Hyacinth, meanwhile, snorted out loud.

Eloise sent a glare to Hyacinth and rolled her eyes at her mother. There went her hope that Francesca's debut would mean she would drop all attempts at matchmaking for Eloise. At least she wasn't being as pushy as last year.

"No I did not," she stated plainly in a tone that did nothing else to hide her contempt for the subject.

"I'm absolutely shocked that the queen hasn't named you as her diamond yet," Benedict quipped next to her, which got him Eloise sticking her tough out at him for his troubles.

"She called me Mr Bridgerton," Colin mumbled yet again and making Eloise contemplate blocking her ears with something.

"Who do you think will be named this season's diamond?" Hyacinth excitedly asked the table. "Do you think she'll name Fran?"