Chapter 8

The next morning, I insisted on going to the airport with Enzo. He really wanted to take me home first, but I wanted to have as much time as possibly before he had to go.  Leaving him so quickly would have felt like a crime. 

Enzo didn't argue and let me accompany him. I got to meet his personal driver, Alfonso, who would be driving us to the airport. Really, how rich is he?

"Good morning, Mr. Torricelli." Alfonso greeted as we made our way to the car, taking Enzo's suitcase to put in the trunk of the car. 

Enzo opened the door for me to slide into the backseat. He followed suit.

"It will only be a couple days, amore."  He took my hand in his and kissed my knuckles. I loved when he called me pet names, but that happy knowledge didn't overshadow my sadness,

I looked at him solemnly. 

"I know." I spoke quietly.

"Will you try to be safe while I'm away?" he asked jestingly.

"What does that mean?" I laughed.

"Darling, you have to be one of the clumsiest people I have ever met. Do you remember our first encounter?" He snickered.

"Very funny." The moving of the car made my stomach churn. Watching the city buildings fly by in a blur only reminded me that I was letting Enzo leave. I knew it was for work but we had hardly been apart since getting together and the thought of it was unbearable. 

"We're here, sir." chimed Alfonso once we parked in the private area of the JFK International Airport. 

Enzo and I looked each other in the eyes, sadness dwelling. 

"A couple days, Cecilia. That's all." His voice was softer now. I think he was feeling the same as I.

Enzo got out of the car. It felt like he was moving in slow motion. I could see the apologetic nature in his eyes and how when he gripped the door, his knuckles turned white. Alphonso had already started unloading Enzo's luggage from the trunk. I hadn't noticed him get out of the car, but then again, it didn't matter.

Only Enzo mattered. 

Lost in my thoughts, I was jump scared by the door on my side of the car opening. I jerked my head up at the person who opened it. 

"No goodbye?" Enzo laughed. He was trying to make the situation as lighthearted as possible.

I smiled at his flirtatious notion. Of course I was saying goodbye, I just didn't want to. 

To my surprise, Enzo leaned over to undo my seatbelt. Being that close, his cologne that enveloped him heightened my senses. Even in the rush to the airport, he still had made the time to pamper himself. The scent wasn't overwhelming, but rather gentle in the fact that I didn't feel my nose burning. Sandalwood, I think it was. I wasn't too sure. 

Enzo's hand slowly snaked over my thighs as he leaned back out of the car and took my hand to lead me out. He was driving me crazy and yet, he wouldn't be here to follow through. 

I stepped out of the car and immediately hugged him. My head rested on his chest as his arms enveloped me as well. His thumb gently rubbed my shoulder as his other hand rested on the small of my back, keeping me in place. 

"Make it back safely, okay?" I whispered.

"Of course, amore. I'll text you when we take off, when we land, when I'm at work, when I'm coming back, and when I land here. You'll know it all." His arms moved from around me so that his hands could gently hold either side of my face. First, he kissed my forehead, then my nose, then my lips. I accepted that third kiss as if it was my only source of oxygen. He was truly intoxicating.