The Cross Cannot Coexist

The Cross Cannot Coexist: Why Liberalism is Anathema From the Christian Faith

Liberalism is a political and social ideology in which autonomy, equality of opportunity, and the protection of individual rights (specifically life, liberty, and property) are emphasised. Ball et al. 2020. Which doesn't sound that bad, and it is not bad whatsoever. However, this is specifically classical liberalism. Which is separate from modern liberalism, which is more inspired by neo-Marxism. Both ideologies are fundamentally flawed, and come from a very materialistic understanding of the world. Which in part is why liberalism is itself anathema, because materialism promotes a very anti-theistic view of the world. Therefore, it follows that liberalism will have some level of a materialistic element to it.

Liberalism also has many social issues which are contrary to Christianity. However, despite this there are many progressives who proudly proclaim them to be "Christian". This however is not the case, as their perspective comes from a place not of love but of worship of ideology or identity. The primary issue with liberalism is the absolute disdain it holds for anything ascetic, or otherwise non-hedonistic. Liberalism itself holds a very hedonistic view of nature, due to the insistence that what is desirable is good. An example of this can be found in their insistence that sodomy is morally correct, despite the fact that it goes contrary to Christian values.

Sodomy is mentioned throughout Sacred Scripture as morally incorrect, in St. Paul's first Epistle to the Corinthians he states: "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites." Holy Bible. 1982. Another example of this would be in St. Paul's first Epistle to Timothy, where he states that the law is not made for the righteous, but for the lawless and insubordinate. For the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust" Holy Bible. 1 Timothy 1:9-11. 1982.

Another example of something liberalism either suggests is acceptable or should be an option is the issue of abortion. This is where liberals have disagreements, due to an ideology not being a monolithic group. However, for the sake of argument the position that will be used is that abortion is a viable option, even not if morally correct. Since some liberals oppose abortion ethically, but due to a couple different factors believe it should be discouraged but remain an option nevertheless. This is a rather contradictory view for sure, but it is by far the most common. According to a Pew Research study, in 2021, 25% of US adults said that abortion should be legal in all cases. In the same study, 34% of US adults said that it should be legal in most cases. Pew Research Centre. 2021

The study also breaks this down by religious affiliation, and there are several alarming things of note. Of Catholics in the US, a slight majority of 55% say it should be legal in most or all cases. This is alarming, considering that the Catechism of the Catholic Church, as well as the Code of Canon Law specifically state that abortion is a grave moral error. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church: "Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law." CCC. 1992. 2271. This is also shown in the Code of Canon Law, wherein it states that: " A person who procures a completed abortion incurs a latae sententiae (By the very comission) excommunication." Code of Canon Law, n.d.

The study by Pew Research also shows that 64% of Black Protestants and 63% of non-Evangelical White Protestants also say that abortion should be legal in most or all cases. Pew Research Centre, 2021. This is concerning, especially given the lack of a unified opinion within Protestantism due to the very nature of it. However, what is especially interesting is that among white Evangelical Protestants this number is significantly lower than the others at 21%. This is interesting, given the other groups are over fifty percent. Unfortunately, the percentage of Orthodox Christians who support or oppose abortion is not listed. Likely due to the small amount that can be found in America when compared to the other groups.