Chapter 10: Campsite ~ Darkwoods

"Reixy, I love flying and everything, but I don't enjoy dangling from below!"

Above the leaves, the forest seemed so bright and breathtaking. The waning twilight from the last few moments of the sun basked a warm orange glow over the landscape. From the air, North could see the forest spanning the entire length of the lake, the mountainscape in the background, and could spot the open grove where they set up camp, although he could not see their friends there. 

"My apologies Glace." Reixy said with a chuckle. "I am not quite big enough to carry you on my back."
"No worries, none at all- Please don't drop me." North stammered, feeling uneasy. Reixy chuckled. "Have no fear, Glace. I will not drop you."

Guess I have a new nickname, North thought. 
"Do you think they are at the campsite yet, Glace?" Reixy asked him. Being unable to shrug his shoulders felt odd to North. "Knowing Sapphire and Leafy, they probably immediately noticed us missing and backtracked a bit to locate us."
Reixy nodded. "And knowing Leafy and Lumine, they probably already know I'm high above the trees with you." Reixy glanced down at North. "Shall we head to the campsite while we wait for Nova to lead them through the forest? I get the feeling we will meet them there shortly."

Again, unable to shrug his shoulders and ultimately not liking it, North instead shrugged his brows. "Sure, we'll get the fire set up and ready while we wait. Maybe share a cup of tea."

"I didn't know you were the type to drink tea, Glace," Reixy said as he flew through the crisp air, heading toward the open circle. North, trying desperately to balance himself as he was dragged through the air, spoke quickly in strained unease. "My mother drank tea on the daily, and I learned to enjoy it as well. Green tea and Sweet tea are my favorites."
"Ah, I see," Reixy replied. He descended slowly so North would not experience whiplash, bless Reixy's heart. 

"Here we are," Reixy chimed, setting North down on solid ground. He immediately dropped to all fours and shook his head vigorously. "I would say I enjoyed the ride, but I only enjoyed the cool air," North admitted. "Thank you for the lift Reixy."

"No problem," Reixy replied as he landed gracefully on his hind legs. "Out of curiosity, why do you prefer to stand on all fours?" Reixy asked. "I mean no offense, of course." He added swiftly.
"None taken," North said as he walked to the nearest tree. "I prefer walking quadruped because it is how I was raised. I can move quickly and fluently, and traditionally our species, being quadruped, walked as such." 

He glanced up at the tree, a sudden idea crossing his mind. "You have an energy blade Reixy. Does it work to chop through objects as well?"
"It does indeed," Reixy replied, walking toward him. "Why do you ask?"
"Feel like chopping the tree for wood?"

"Ah, no," Reixy said, uneased. "I don't want to damage the environment here. Besides, Myth brought firewood here with him, in his pack."
North shrugged his shoulders, finally feeling whole again being able to shrug his shoulders. "Shoulda said that when we landed, mate." 

"Ah, my bad," Reixy replied quickly. "Shall I get the fire started or prepare the tea?"
"How well can you brew and boil a tea?" North asked, curious.
"I'm alright, nothing special. Maybe we should do it together, see if we each know some tricks the other does not?"
"Yeah, I like that idea, Foxxo."

North picked up the firewood next to Myth's backpack and carried it over to the firepit while Reixy rummaged through North's shoulderpack for the tea leaves and packets. Curious, Reixy picked up North's Ice Gem Amulet that hung from the main buckle. "This is pretty, North. What's the make?"

North set the firewood down and glanced up at Reixy, who was holding his amulet out in front of him. "It's a cobalt Ice Gem Amulet," North said, a hint of pride in his voice. "Normally when you use a type-specific gemstone, it is consumed by your body to boost a move's power. But my parents found a way to preserve the gem while still extracting the same power boost. Each gem uses a different metal, or a metal alloy."