Chapter 43

|| CHARLOTTE ||

|| Saturday, June 26th ||

I parked the car in the parking lot before I exited and came around to help Jackie up and out of the car.

"I'm okay, Char," Jackie said, standing up and putting some more weight on her non-injured leg.

"I told you to bring the crutches," I sighed.

"They're in your trunk," she said. "We can go get them when I know my limit."

I glared at her.

"Fine. We can get them after the ceremony, so I can use them for a while before the reception."

I continued glaring at her.

"Hey, be happier. It's Chelsea's wedding day."

"I am happy, but this is the first day you will be on your two feet, without your crutches for some of the day."

"I will cling to you most of the time," she smiled, kissing my shoulder.

"Jay..."

"I promise I will let you know," she said. "And thank goodness for suits because heels and this is nearly impossible at this time."

"And you look dashing."

"There we go, there's the happy wife I know," she grinned at me. "I just want you and I to have fun today at our friend's wedding. No worrying about this."

"Okay. But..."

"Yes. I will let you know," she said again.

I kissed her lips.

She smiled at me, and I locked the car, taking her hand as we made our way inside the venue. The wedding wasn't big, but the reception dinner will be. Chelsea and James wanted something intimate and simple in the late morning, surrounded by family members and close friends. About thirty people are attending this morning's event, and then the reception will be over a hundred.

We made our way through the door and were greeted by the wedding planner. The woman smiled at us.

"Hi! There's no bride or groom side, so feel free to sit wherever," the planner smiled.

"Thank you," Jackie said, and we picked a side to sit down.

As we waited and looked around the area, Jackie squeezed my hand. I looked at her, and she grinned at me.

"Seeing this makes me want to rush our planning," she chuckled.

"It's almost been a year-and-a-half for us since we make things official."

"Yeah, it's hard to believe time flies."

"No kidding," I said.

James was standing a few feet away, talking with family. When he saw us, he excused himself, making his way over. We stood up and hugged him, and he kissed our cheeks.

"Thank you for coming," he smiled.

"Are you kidding? We wouldn't miss this day for the world," Jackie said.

"We're going to be saying the same to you when you two have your ceremony," he grinned.

"We're still planning ours," I smiled. "How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Nervous, like very nervous. But it's the good kind. We haven't seen each other in about two days. We wanted to try and keep this as close to traditional as possible, knowing my family," he said.

"But you didn't want to stand in a church," Jackie added.

He nodded, "Chelsea and I wanted to step away from that tradition. But all the others are mostly still here."