His Offer

Max pov
It's been a few weeks since I moved to Hawkins, I made friends with a group of boys that seem weird but they have a cool older friend Soo I guess that's a bonus. I get to the school entrance and see that Billy is nowhere to be found great I thought sarcastically, I go for my board only to remember that Billy broke my skateboard. I sigh heavily and begin my trek to my house. MAX!! I look up and turn at the sound of my name to see Steve and Dustin walking over to me with smiles on their faces. I plaster my fake smile and say Sup. The second Dustin is within ear shot he begins to ramble on about this club he joined called hellfire. I see from the corner of my eye that Steve looks concerned, I look at him with a emotionless expression as to say what are you looking at? "Max do you want a ride ? " the question caught me off guard and my expression changed from emotionless to hesitancy. " Hey Dustin meet me in the car while I talk to Max here okay. Dustin roles his eyes and said Okay and he walks away. Steve gets down on one knee and looks at me and asks again Max do you want a ride ? I look at him tempted to say yes. But then I remember what Billy did to Steve, I could feel my face pale as I'm about to decline when he says You know it's not your fault on what happened to me right? I looked down finding my shoes intriguing, Max Steve tried again I felt a tap on my chin not expecting it I flinch badly almost raising my arms as second nature to defend myself. When I realize what I had done I wrap my arms around me and mutter fine as I walked to his car hoping to avoid the conversation I know he wants to have. I get to the car and get in the back, behind the driver side. Once the car is moving I look out the window lost in thought. When I'm brought back to the present I realize that Steve had already dropped off Dustin and we were parked outside a diner. Max do you wanna get some fries and milkshakes? I debated on what to do and to be honest I didn't want to go to my house yet. I pointed to the diner and we both walked in, I thought he would drop what happened earlier in the school parking lot but no he waited until after we ordered to talk. Max is everything alright at your house? I looked down at the table and nodded yes. He didn't look convinced, instead he said Max if you need me to come and get you in the middle of the night or if you just need a ride or to just talk I'm here. I looked up at him looking into his brown eyes to see if he was lying or faking it. He wasn't he was being true and honest. I swallowed thickly and said He always fights with Billy and sometimes I get scared he will come into my room and start to fight with me. I look at him to see he is being quiet and has this kind look on his face as if he understands what is going on. I wanted to cry right then and there. Once the waitress came with our food we dug in with the occasional comment here and there. Once the food was done and he paid he got up and I followed him out to his car. I must have fallen asleep in his car because next thing I know Steve is crouched in front of me nagging me to wake up. I open my eyes and see we are at my house. I looked at it with dread and some  hesitation before I get off the car. Before I close the door Steve pulls out a brand new skateboard and hands it to me. I looked at home with surprise and shock. When did you get the board and how did you know?? Steve looked at me fondly with kindness and said I saw it missing from your person for a week now and I know that you never go anywhere without it. I also had a feeling Billy might have something to do with it being gone too, but- I cut him off with a hug tears in my eyes and I hugged him as tight as I can softly saying Thank you. I felt him hug back as equally tight, not as tight like Billy but even it showed his gentleness and strength in his arms. It felt almost like he is protecting me from the world outside. Once I let go he ruffled my hair and gently urged me to go inside. Before I went in I said Yes to your offer, and walked in with a small smile on my face and step of confidence in myself knowing I had a safe place with Steve Fucking Harrington.  
Steve pov
Once I seen Max go inside I began to drive back to my house. I know Max has a shitty older brother, and I know she can take care of herself but she didn't need to do that now I'm here in her life. I'm willing to step up where Billy hasn't and I will do my best to keep that smile on her face because she looks best with a smile that's carefree, and not fake. Like the ones she puts up around the boys. I get to my house and park heading inside I look around as I remember the memories of my father drunk and being a dick. It want fun, eventually the lonely house here became home when I met the little shitheads that became my kids, nuggets, little shits they are but I love them there's now denying that.