Love to hate you •Alessia Russo•

Y/N POV

Getting the call up for the US women's national team by Vlatko Andonovski had honestly come as such a shock, following my previous season with Portland Thorns. Being one of the younger players and a newer edition to the senior team, the manager was apprehensive to give me any minutes on the pitch. And this meant that I wasn't able to develop as a player and get the exposure that I needed to develop as such. It was disheartening to say the least.

The girls on the team, had really taken me under their wing, helping me gain confidence despite the lack of minutes. Especially Janine Beckie, she had become like an older sister to me, making sure that I pushed myself without it being too much. Encouraging me to put in the effort she knew I could handle.

Even outside of football, Janine was often sharing her experiences of playing with her previous teams, such as Houston Dash and even the WSL team Manchester City. Telling me stories of the times she had with her British friends, the two of us chuckling about their crazy antics.

But when I got the call from Vlatko, I finally felt that it could be the kickstart of my experiences in the Soccer world.

Unknown caller
Accept. | Decline.

"Hello, is this Y/N Y/LN?"

"Yes it is, can I ask who I'm talking to?"

"It's Vlatko Andonovski, head coach of the US women's national team. I'm just contacting you to give you a call up for the next team camp"

"It would be an honor! Thank you so much!"

"Great, the camp will be in preparation for the two friendly games against England and Spain, I will give you more information on the process when you arrive. I look forward to seeing your potential"

The call up gave me a feeling a pride that I didn't feel I could have for myself. Someone had seen my potential, even when I didn't, and I'd forever be grateful for that. And the excitement I felt for the upcoming experience I would be getting the opportunities to encounter.

Joining camp was nerve wracking. These women were considered some of the best in the game, playing for a world champion team. This meant that the pressure on my shoulders was intense, it felt like I was carrying the weight of the world, because expectations were so high. And the nerves increased as the days went by, but the girls on the team were so supportive and helpful, pushing me to be the best I could be, and soon enough the compliments about my abilities started rolling in from both players and coaches, as I got comfortable playing alongside the likes of Sam Mewis and Kelly O'Hara and understanding their play styles, slotting myself in where it was helpful to the game.

••

Soon enough, we were traveling to England, preparing to play on a grand stage such as Wembley Stadium. A sold out game for world champions and the new European champions. Both were expected to win. And with the expectations from fans that had travelled far and wide to support their respective teams, we wanted to impress and satisfy their hopes.

•••

Now, we were currently lining up, both teams side by side, ready to go out and sing our national anthems to the 80,000 fans waiting for an exciting game of soccer (or football as it's called here in the Uk).