Discovery

A single beam of sunlight sliced through the dark room, spilling onto J's face. She rolled onto her side and groaned at the thought of getting up. School. J remembered that she had to get up today. Jerking upright, she threw the blue-green blanket onto the floor glancing at the clock. "Shit." She growled, 8:00. She shuffled towards the cupboard, half asleep, and slid the mirrored door across. J selected a white blouse with her school's emblem on it, a single rose, and pulled it down over her head. She then reached into a small drawer and pulled out a freshly ironed skirt and knee-high socks. J fumbled briefly with the socks before sliding them up her bare legs. She pulled on her skirt and ran out the door grabbing an armful of books and her bag on the way past.

Sliding down the hallway J realised something, why didn't mum wake her up with her usual assault of curses. As she thought, J forgot to concentrate on walking down the stairs and slipped, smacking her head on the hard wood death trap. J stood and rubbed the back of her head before bending over and retrieving her books.

As J made her way around the kitchen she began to worry. Where's the smell of mum's horrific cooking? She thought. And why isn't dad sitting there in his old wooden chair reading the newspaper? 

Something was terribly wrong, and it had only just begun.

J stared at mum and dad's bed, the covers were rumpled and the pillow still bared the imprint of their sleeping heads. They mustn't be far. She hoped more than thought.

"Dad! Mum! She called. Trying to remain calm, J sat in the dirt. Where are you? J rose to her feet and walked towards the backdoor of the house. She opened the door the ran up the stairs to her room. J ran to her desk and franticly searched her desk for her phone. Grabbing it, she slid her thumb against the screen adnd presses the green phone icon. She scrolled down a list past names of her friends and pressed one labelled, Mum.

She had tried, mum, dad, uncle David and even crazy old grandma, but always the only voice was that of the answering machine. J sat on her bed and grasped her temples.

"Keep calm J. It's OK, they have just gone out for a bit." Yeah without their phones, car, wallets or keys. Stifling a scream with her pillow, images of men in balaclavas with weapons flashed in J's mind.

________________

Another starter that won't ever get an ending. Oh well~