End of This Winter

The light of the sunrise cut through the curtains, illuminating his sweet face. His gentle breathing put me at ease as I traced his body's valley, hovering my finger above his skin so as not to wake him. My fingers moved along his body until they reached the beginning of his collarbone. My fingers caressed his bronze skin up to his soft cheeks.

He appeared heavenly as he slept in this early morning light. Every deep breath he took caused his chest to gradually rise and fall. I drew my fingers back toward his neck, observing how his body reacted to my touch.

His eyes fluttered open, and confusion washed over his delicate features as he stretched and ran his fingers through his dark curls. It took him a moment to remember that he had spent the night with me. He squinted, grinning the instant he laid eyes on me. His short hair took on more definition in this light, each chestnut-colored strand shining.

His face was always pale in the morning, and his eyes were swollen. He used to hide his face behind his hands, but now he lets me see this side of him. He exhaled deeply, nuzzling his face into my hand and brushing his lips against my skin. His hand landed on top of mine, stroking it with his thumb.

"Hi," he whispered.

"Morning," I murmured.

He scrunched his nose and said, "Were you watching me sleep?"

"No," I lied.

"Creep," he teased.

"Oh, I'm the creep. Would you like me to bring up what happened last—"

He clapped his hand over my mouth while shaking his head and groaning."No, no, no! Stop it!"

I reached for his wrist, yanking his hands away from my mouth as he kicked his legs, trying to divert my attention. He persisted, attempting to place his hands on my mouth, but I caught them and pressed them against my chest.

"Leo, noo," he whined.

"I was kidding," I groaned. "I won't say anything."

"Liar."

I leaned in and smiled at him. He closed his eyes and reached for my neck with his hands. His soft lips grazed mine, and I could feel the smile that formed on his lips. He enjoyed teasing me. As our forehead touched, he nuzzled his nose against mine.

"Julian," I murmured.

"Hmm?" He sighed.

"I'm glad you're here with me."

His hand cupped my jaw and caressed my cheek, drawing our lips together. I was enveloped in the warmth.

"Mhm," he nodded.

I don't know where I'd be without you, I thought.

Before I met him, my life closely resembled a drab winter; lonely, cold, and dull. My winter had felt like an eternity, so when my spring came around, it was too good to be true. He appeared, and just like that, the clouds parted and the sun came to end my anguish. From our first encounter, I knew I wanted to keep him forever.

Days in my endless winter were miserable as snow descended from the sky, assaulting my senses with its frigid cold. Clouds of my warm breath rose above me as I wandered through my dreary, desolate land. I was hoping to find the one golden blossom that would indicate the end of this winter.

Then, all of a sudden, he appeared. A golden bulb so beautiful that it would catalyze a spring so lovely and warm that it could instantly melt away all the snow. In the land of my winter, he shone brilliantly.

The first bits of color I had ever seen were when I first laid my eyes on him. Always staring from across the room, never daring to face him.