Chapter 2

"I'm not...dead," Ayesha said firmly, struggling to stand up on her wobbly legs. She was pretty sure that her shaky voice did not match the assertion she intended.

"And so they all say," he shrugged and leaned against the wall, like this was nothing new to him. She took a longer look at his incredibly handsome features. Jet black hair styled to perfection with only a few strands escaping and reaching his eyes. His eyes were as dark as the shadow she saw earlier, maybe darker. The light stubble below his chin only added on to his charm. There was no way this guy was human.

She was only recovering from the preceding events, and his presence was not helping. Her body was feeling unusually weak, but she ignored the warning signs her mind gave her.

Maybe she should just focus on One thing at a time.

"Come on now. You are dead," he said that so casually that Ayesha couldn't help but feel a slight annoyance tugging at her. "Everyone dies. The sooner you accept that, the easier it is to get to the afterworld."

He snapped his fingers, making a portal appear in the middle of the corridor out of nowhere. He gestured at Ayesha to follow her into the portal.

She shook her head and finally stood up, taking support of the wall. No way was she following some random guy into an unknown portal.

"I'm not dead. And neither am I following you. Who are you, anyway? And how can you see me?"

His finger pinched the bridge of his nose. Huffing in annoyance, he said, "Look, don't make this difficult for me. You follow me, or I drag you. No other option."

"You didn't answer my question. I'm not going anywhere until you do." She said, the firmness returning to her voice. As much as she would like for this man to sway her away, his words did not make her trust him one bit.

He rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'm a grim reaper. I escort dead people to the afterworld. I can see you because you're dead and your spirit is roaming around without moving on. Does that answer it? Ab chalo." [Now let's go]

A grim reaper? She had never heard of those and now she was seeing one. Maybe he was just another spirit trying to get a favour out of her. Nope, not happening.

"Not happening. I won't fall for your lies. This isn't my first time dealing with spirits like you. So you better get going because I'm not helping you get revenge on the person that killed you or deliver a letter to your ex-girlfriend."

He sighed in exasperation. "I have no idea what you're talking about and frankly, you're testing my patience. I'm just doing my job so you better move your ass."

He tried to grab her hand but she pulled away just in time and tried to get past the door to her home until something blocked her. She turned back to see the guy with his arm streched out in her direction. He was doing this. But how? Was he the one controlling that darkness earlier?

Ayesha frantically banged at the door. It was like an imaginary wall stood between her and door, blocking her from going in.

She tried to run in the opposite direction when suddenly, a pair of rough hands pinned her shoulders as her chest was crushed against the door frame, restraining her entire body in one move.

"Let me go!" He resisted him with her entire might. But her 5"4 frame was nothing compared to his 6" of pure strength.

He continued pinning her down and she felt his mouth near her ears. Her movements stalled at the sudden closeness. His voice was slightly softer this time.