Very Well Done 🌟

“So what is this part called again?” It’s been approximately half an hour since you set foot into this musty pawn shop, trailing behind Tech as he overlooks the shelves for what he needs.

“Hyperdrive motivator. It looks like a small box with attachments and input cords for installment branching from it. Usually black in color but can come in other variations such as blue or green.” Gripping his chin with squinted eyes, he scans the establishment for himself to see if he can find anything of use. Some of the merchandise is inaccessible behind the counter, rising the unwanted possibility of asking a merchant for assistance.

Tech’s description wasn’t the most detailed, but you are confident in being able to pinpoint at lease something that looks similar do what was described. As each piece up for sale is logged and somewhat identified in your mind, one such product sticks out to you. It’s a wonky little square no larger than a shoe box with a geometric steel top. A nagging little voice in the back of your mind burdens you with the insecurity of being wrong, taking on your mistakes and slip ups as a fault in your design. But in this moment, you suppress the feeling by raising your arm to point it out. “Is that it?”

Tech adjusts his goggles to steady his line of sight in the direction you imply. He stops, pauses to examine the photographic likeness to the specs in his tablet, and brightly lights up when he confirms it to be exactly what he’s looking for. “Very well done! I could have never spotted that at this distance.”

“Really?” You retort, surprised to have the deficiency in his eyesight revealed.

“Yes! I also didn’t want to force you to linger amongst this establishment of junk dealings any longer than necessary. I commend you for your keen eye.” His head tilts to you with a smirk, tapping a gloved finger to his temple as he puts his tablet away while walking forward and ahead of you.

“I honestly didn’t know.” You shrug, trailing behind. “It was a wild guess.”

“Well, considering the positive inclination of statistics in regards to going with one’s gut, sometimes a guess is all you require. I would trust your judgement, most favorably.” You chuckle at his nonchalant response. It drives a commotion in your heart that spumes about your headspace, dizzying your senses.

“Wow...” You whisper under your breath, letting the syllable drop to the ground but not far enough away to be overlooked.

“Did I say something to evoke astonishment?” Tech spins around and you stumble backward into your tracks, gulping audibly loud at this unexpected confrontation. He looks at you through his amber lenses as an inquisitive expression spreads across his features, transferring his weight with a hand on his hip.

“No no! It’s just... no one’s ever told me that before.” The confession sounds pathetic and almost meaningless to be so worked up over, and yet, Tech still sees you for who you are.

“I fail to comprehend why not. You’re a highly capable human being and a valuable asset to the squad. I thought it was obvious.” The speaks this to you as fact, regardless of his opinionated stance and you fall silent, stewing in the compliments he bestows. The oppressive fire boiling from within renders you speechless as you timidly saunter behind Tech as he makes his way to complete his vital purchase.

“Excuse me, might I examine that hyperdrive motivator you have stored in those upper cabinets far to the back?” Tech requests the merchant from afar, a scraggly looking Dug that hobbles around the aisles. They’re nasty little critters that aren’t above cheating and even killing to get their way and you mentally prepare for the barter war that is soon to take over between him and Tech.

“Twenty-thousand credits.” His tacky voice comes through rougher than the gravelly terrain outside, seemingly offended that Tech is taking a mere few minutes of his time as he slams the product down.