4.

Rui

Rui may have stolen the prize and escaped the castle walls, but she knew enough that the trouble was far from over. The night was still upon her, so the dark would cover her tracks for many precious hours yet. That was about the only outside help Rui could take advantage of. It would've been nice to procure a carriage or even a beautiful steed to hasten her return; however, either one would've drawn too much attention upon arrival, and required care and maintenance that she didn't have the time for. And besides, a thief had to light on their feet, wary of all they meet and ready at a moment's notice. Being agile was far more valuable than being fast.

Gathering her composure, she sat down on the grass for a brief moment to get off her wore-out feet. All the training in the world-physically, mentally, and magically-couldn't fix the fact that she couldn't run for crap. It was only in this moment of weakness would anyone suspect her downfall though. By appearance alone, she was a beautifully-matured woman in her mid-twenties. Strong, womanly curves displayed a figure capable of both aethestics and strength, accented by her taste in clothing. The long crimson hair she was always known for draped behind her like a satin veil fit for a queen. Men gladly flattered her, but Rui was wise for her years and didn't leave her heart for any man to take so easily. While she dedicated herself to tradition, to knowledge and magic as a Jycel should, she never found the time nor ambition to seek worldly pleasures like love or friendship. Everything was a task, a duty she had to fufill.

Rui couldn't sit forever though, as nice as it felt. Not until the crest was out of her hands could her heart stop racing like death was hunting her down. Standing and brushing off her dress, Rui hurried out of the trees and towards the small castle village in the distance. As pertinent as it was to get far away from the scene of the crime, no human was capable of running forever. If she couldn't get far away, she had to hide. And the best way to hide was in plain sight. No castle imperial would honestly suspect a king-robbing thief to stay so close when the death sentence was the merciful option. Plus, she could use the time to contact her elders and inform them of her situation, and tell them of her success.

Arriving in the quiet, dirt-paved streets, few souls wandered outside the buildings. Even the lights from windows seemed few and far between. Regardless, Rui hurried and found the town inn before the night dragged on too long. She met with an older man, who stood behind a counter as he rifled through some old documents. With a confident smile, she approached and asked kindly, "Excuse me, sir. I'm sorry to trouble you so late at night, but I just arrived in town and was wondering if you spare a room for the night." The scruffier male looked up from his papers, eyes questioning the strange intrusion so late in the evening. However, he was a crass and forward man; he gave her no frill. "I'd like to help yah out, miss, but sadly, there are none left tah offer you." With a small frown, she got slightly worried. "Are you sure? I'd be willing to pay you full-no, double what you normally ask. ...It's just for one night." But the man simply shook his head. "Sorry, miss. I can't help yah." Rui's expression turned for the worst, pouting in such an unbecoming way. She hadn't planned on such a problem coming up; it didn't seem important at the time. The odds didn't seem likely. Right now, it couldn't be helped. It was beyond her control. Bowing politely to the man, she replied, "Well, thank you anyway, sir. I'm sorry to have bothered you so late. Enjoy your night." With a touch of pity on his tongue, the innkeeper called to her, "Enjoy your night too, miss."

It was irksome, but Rui was left out in the open. To think a Jycel would have to sleep out on the streets... She sighed, the exhale only reminding her body how fatigued it truly was. Even mentally, the woman was worn thin. As she felt her hand relax, she remembered about the crest still clutched in her palm. "Oh yeah...," she murmured. She tucked the silver medallion into the travel pouch strapped along her waist for safe keeping. It would be misfortunate to have made it this far, only to be spotted with it red-handed like an idiot. Seeing as she had no place to sleep, Rui found it fitting to at least find a place to sit down and rest her soul before moving on. Even a small rest would be rewarding. It wouldn't do to call upon her elders in a weary state; magic was much more difficult to control without focus.

So, Rui stepped down the way to a building still dimly lit and a rifling of noise coming from inside. Opening the wooden door, the fragrant stench of high-proof liquor lingered in the air first. Glancing around, men from all walks of life were lounging at tables littered with glasses. In the low light, faces were hardly recognizable. Only the people gathered around the bright lanterns around the bar counter could truly be distinguised. Her presence hardly bothered the merriment of the half-drunk crowd, and she strolled up to the counter in the back, claiming a seat among the crowd. After serving a couple of young men down the row, the tavern keeper stopped by. "Just a glass of good ale, sir," Rui stated without a moment of thought. He nodded, not displeased with her quick decision. No sooner had he told her, "Sure t'ing," had he grabbed a classic mug and poured in a fragrant ale from his stock, setting it down before her. Digging in her pouch, she pulled out a few coins to pay up front, and was promptly left alone.