Chapter 442- 444

Chapter 442: They Want Us to Steal for Them

"What happened, Father? And what's that in your hand?"

At the sight of Mr. Tao storming back home with anger written all over his face, Tao Xiaomei hurried up to him, offering to hold his bag for him.

Mr. Tao declined her offer. Gripping the bad, he huffed, "Close the front gates and go inside. I'll tell you later."

Tao Xiaomei hastily went to shut the front gates and then called Mrs. Tao, Wang Sheng and Stonie into the house. As soon as the whole family were inside the house, Tao Xiaomei closed the doors and they all clustered around Mr. Tao.

Looking at the bag on the table, Wang Sheng walked over and opened it only to find that inside it were clothes, all of which were black. There were also some black cloth masks. Surprised by these things, Wang Sheng asked, "Where did you get these clothes, Father-in-law?"

Mr. Tao smoldered for quite a while before he replied, "That unfilial son of mine gave these to me. I'm not the only one. Every family in this village received a bag of this kind of stuff. Those people said all of us are to change into these clothes and wear the black masks tomorrow. You know what they want us to do? They want us to steal for them! I always knew those people harbor evil intentions and would lead everyone in this village to their doom, but the village head and the others wouldn't listen to me. They even colluded with them and killed all those who tried to flee this village. Those conscienceless bastards!"

Wang Sheng was taken aback. Those people wanted them to put on these black clothes and masks and then transfer their goods out of the village for them? He knew some inside information and was aware that those people of the caravan didn't have any contacts whatsoever in the army of the imperial court, that it was the rebel forces in Jiangzhou that they were in cahoots with! If the villagers charged onto the battlefield clothed in this kind of outfits, they would only end up being killed by the troops of the imperial court before they could explain themselves! This was such a venomous stratagem. Those people were sending the villagers on an apparently suicidal mission!

This was bad. He needed to tell this to the couple of men that had slipped into this village as soon as possible.

Wang Sheng was anxious, but he was the only one knowing about the couple of men's infiltration into this village. It was inconvenient to make contact with them during daytime, so he'd have to wait until night fell.

"Father-in-law, did they mention at what time they'll make their move tomorrow?"

Mr. Tao responded, "They said they'd do it tomorrow afternoon. The weather hasn't been very good lately. Tomorrow's going to be a cloudy day, and there might even be some rain."

Rain? That would make the situation even more troublesome. Those thugs had actually thought of taking advantage of the weather. The army of the imperial court would have a difficult job catching them in a cloudy and rainy day. Those ruffians were such wily old foxes!

"Don't worry, Father-in-law. For the moment we may just stick to our plan. In no circumstances should we join those criminals to work against the army of the imperial court tomorrow."

With a grave look on his face, Mr. Tao inclined his head. "I'll tell the others at dusk. Wang Sheng, are those people you mentioned really going to protect us?"

Wang Sheng replied, "Yeah. I trust them. All we need to do is follow the plan."

On hearing this, Mr. Tao dismissed his misgivings and decided to go out to inform the others at nightfall.

At dusk, Mr. Tao did leave home, but he didn't go far away and just paid a visit to a nearby family, saying that he needed to borrow some soy sauce to sauté food. In the kitchen, he took advantage of the opportunity and had a word with his old bosom buddy, dropping a hint to him.