You know what it's like when you have a secret you can't tell anyone?So, do you have to go to school and pretend everything is normal even though you know it's not?Well, that's how it was, the first day after Christmas break.
     That war had gone on for centuries -- horrible things like rationing, blackouts and sirens warning of air raids... And that all the time.Nonstop!  But on that day, I had a secret, something I was anxiously awaiting to happen.
    -- Put your heads down, children!  Copy the accounts in your exercise book - said Miss Rossendale, who was teaching us, as Mr Taylor had enlisted in the army to fight the Germans.
     I liked Mr Taylor.  He was young, he had a big, smiling face, and he didn't scream like Mrs. Rossendale did.  She was already old, had wrinkles and kept waving her finger in the air. But that day, none of that bothered me, because my secret made me happy.
     I didn't even care when the paunchy WATSON, who sat next to me in the front row, said in a whisper, except for BRENDA WATKINS, who had heat rashes.
    The secret was very special.
          "Not a word about it!" Dad said, when he told me.  -- Not even for our FREDDIE.  soon, soon we'll tell him.  For now , it 's just between the two of us .

1: pg 🇺🇸