Eight

2017, Ben

I sat on the edge of my window, strumming my guitar while humming a verse, watching the rain fall peacefully on the grass underneath Hailey's. My parents got it for me when I was diagnosed with ADHD four years ago, and the doctor recommended I found an activity that allowed me to stimulate my mind — and occupy my hands. Turned out, once I realised how much I loved it, I became a quick learner.

And just like every morning, I started playing as soon as I woke up, sometimes at early hours. At first, I did it aimlessly, but the notes I played began forming melodies, and the melodies turned into songs, accompanied by the lyrics I wrote during class instead of actually paying attention, and kept hidden from everyone.

Nothing else could make me focus like songwriting. Well, nothing except Hailey.

"Because you're heaven
Oh, Heaven
Deep in my soul
Grey and old

I'm in heaven"

"That sounds beautiful." I heard Hailey's voice from the opposite direction as soon as I finished, making me drop my guitar pick on the floor in shock.

She had her hair in a ponytail and was wearing the overalls she typically used when painting, now covered in shades of green and brown, which meant she finally finished the piece she had been working on for a week.

I put the guitar down and watched her as she took her sneakers off and threw them in a corner.

"Thanks... How much did you hear?" Hopefully, not enough.

"Only the end of it, because you still refuse to share it with me." She jumped onto my bed and slouched on it, turning sideways to face me.

"It's not done yet."

"So you keep saying." She gave me a challenging smile that I disregarded. I couldn't share my songs with anyone for now, especially her.

I moved to the bed and sloppily laid down next to her, getting as close as I could without touching.

"I promise I'll sing it for you soon."

I moved her falling hair strands out of her face so I could see her better.

"Well, you just might have to."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

She sat down on the bed and I followed her, noticing she was visibly nervous.

"There's no easy way to rip the bandaid off, so I'll just come out and say it: I signed you up for Star Factor."

"What?!"

Star Factor was the number one singing competition in the UK, that we watched together every Friday night. She had mentioned she thought it would be a good idea if I tried out, but I didn't think she would go as far as signing me up for it.

She took my restless hands on hers and intertwined our fingers, appeasing me instantly.

"Every day, I hear you play from my bedroom. You run home after school so you can sing songs you never let me listen to. You're my best friend, Ben. And, whether you believe it or not, you're extremely talented. The world deserves to hear what you have to say, and let's face it: you wouldn't be happy doing anything else. So I'm here to be the voice of reason, and tell you I believe you can do this."