07

07
the calm before the storm

Celia is Céline's guide for the race weekend, and thanks to her, Céline manages to put her worries at the back of her mind while freaking out over seeing drivers and the cars up close.

On press day, as her parents leave Céline in Celia's care and walk around on their own, they spend the whole day among the motorhomes, listening in to driver interviews, with Celia even introducing her to some drivers she knows personally.

"Daniel!" Celia waves after they watch the interview between Daniel Ricciardo and a Sky Sports journalist. "Oh my God, you know Danny Ric-" "I know everyone in the paddock," Celia says, winking. "Celia! My favourite Ferrari person!" Daniel throws them his usual bright smile, and Céline nearly faints. "Oh my God, oh my God," she repeats as her favourite driver walks towards them.

"This is Céline, she's gonna be with the Academy," Celia gestures to Céline, who covers her hand with her mouth to prevent herself from screaming. "Hi, I'm Daniel," the charismatic driver says, extending his hand to shake hers. She does so, gripping his hand probably so hard that he jokes, "You have a good grip. You'll be a great driver."

Daniel seems to have a little bit of extra time before his next interview, and engages Céline in a conversation, at least after the initial excitement has subsided. "So, I've heard about your backstory," Daniel says, nodding. Céline raises her eyebrows. "I don't think I've told many people." "Word gets around pretty quickly in the paddock, especially with sensational stories like yours," he replies, grinning. 

Céline freezes. Did Daniel Ricciardo just call her sensational? 

She manages a smile with blushed cheeks. "But seriously though, I'm really looking forward to racing you on the track," Daniel tells her, and she shakes her head. "I still don't know if I'll be able to debut in Formula One. Nothing's set in stone yet," Céline says. She doesn't want to seem overconfident, but yet, a huge part of her does believe this. "Nah, don't be so tough on yourself. Based on what people are saying about you - and trust me, everyone here knows your name already, you are pretty impressive. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, okay?" 

Céline tears up as she hears the words of comfort from Daniel. It strikes her that behind all the glitter and glamour of F1 are real people like Seb, Kimi, Celia, Daniel, and even Maurizio who care about the sport and its people so much. "Thank you, Daniel. This... means a lot to me," Céline finally manages to make eye contact with the driver. Even if he saw the tears, he doesn't say a word about it. 

"Ah, of course. I'm so excited to see what you'll accomplish," the Australian says casually. "Thank you so much. Oh, do you have to go soon?" Céline says as she sees Daniel's manager waving him over a few metres away. Daniel turns around to see him, and mouths 'two minutes'. "I can stay for a few more minutes. Right, do you have any questions for me?" Daniel asks. Céline smiles, touched by the fact that Daniel is willing to risk being late just to talk to her. 

"Yeah, just, do you have any advice for me, about racing? Not technical, but in general..." "I'll tell you to enjoy the process. Ferrari's probably gonna overwork you so much, right, Celia?" Daniel turns to Celia, who mimes zipping her mouth shut. "That's a yes. So don't stress yourself, because they'll already being stressing you. And try to ignore whatever the media and the public says about you. It'll be so much more difficult on you, but focus on your own voice. Listen to yourself, and, I know it sounds cheesy, but follow your heart. Enjoy your wins and move on after failures. You'll be fine, Céline," Daniel finishes, patting Céline on the shoulder. 

"I'll try to follow this advice. You're such an amazing person, Daniel. Thank you for this," Céline says sincerely, and Daniel waves it away, grinning. "You think too highly of me. Right, before I go, do you want a picture?" Céline nods vigorously, and the two share a selfie, as well as get Celia to take a picture for them. "Thank you, Daniel. I think you've just made her day," Celia smiles as she hands the phone back to Céline. 

The driver smiles and looks at Celia. "I think she's had many days made already. All the best, Céline. I'll see you around!" Daniel flashes his signature grin, and jogs over to his manager, who nods at the pair.

As Daniel walks away, Seb comes up from behind them, tapping both on the shoulder. "Oh Seb!" Céline greets. "How's everything going?" the Ferrari driver asks. "I talked to Daniel! This is all super exciting," Céline beams at Seb and Celia. "Oh, wonderful! Daniel's my friend. I hope you're enjoying your time. It can get a little too much," Seb nods at Céline. "I'm just enjoying simply being  a fan right now," Céline replies earnestly. 

"Good. I managed to finish all my media commitments, so why not I take over the tour?" Céline almost gasps. "Are you serious? But you must be quite busy today, I don't want to trouble you-" "Don't worry about it, I hardly get an opportunity like this," Seb says, and Céline looks up at him gladly. "Thank you, Seb."

And so on Thursday, 4-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel ends up taking over the tour of the paddock from Celia, who returns to the Ferrari motorhome. Seb imparts his wisdom to Céline, about how to deal with the media and some racing technicalities, and also about making friends in motorsport. 

Just as Céline is getting invested into a story Seb was telling about his fourth championship win, the biggest star in Formula One passes by, then turns back to do a double take. "Hey, Seb!" Lewis Hamilton calls, and Céline widens her eyes. "Lewis!" Seb walks up to give the Mercedes driver a hug. "Lewis Hamilton. In the flesh. Wow," Céline mutters, and Lewis grins, shaking her hand. "You're Céline, I assume?" "Yes, wow, Lewis... Wait, how did you know my name?" 

Lewis laughs. "Your story has gotten around the paddock by now. I've never seen you around before, so who else would be following Seb?" Céline nods, still in shock over how these legendary drivers know her. "I hope Seb's not annoying you with some old story, like an elderly person I swear," the charismatic driver says, and Céline laughs, losing some of the nerves. "He was actually in the middle of one," she says, and Seb frowns at the both of them. 

"Anyways, Céline, just want to tell you to take it easy. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for you, but I have faith in you, kid." Céline nods, focusing on Lewis' every word. "Yeah. Thanks, Lewis," Céline smiles. "No problem. Oh right, want a picture?" Céline nods vigourously, and also gets the star to give a shoutout to Julia on a video. "I gotta go now, but good luck kid, you'll need it." 

As they weave through the motorhomes, Céline still can't help but do a double take every time they walk past a driver. It's still surreal to her that very soon, this will be her life. She will indeed be racing alongside these drivers - top drivers in the world.