Learning The Basics

Cedar lifted her head from her paws, and glanced up at the sky as the sun begun to rise.

She stood up, and yawned as she stretched her front-paws in front of her.

Hunger crept up her stomach.

"Food." She murmured, whisking away from her sleeping spot.

She padded along the hill she had slid down the day before, looking for the herd of Mule deer.

"Maybe if I spook the herd I can pick out the smallest one? Or the slowest one?" She murmured, guessing her next move.

She crept along in the tall grass, stepping over sticks. 

Once she found a herd of elk, she crouched down and waited.

Cedar was determined to catch something this time.

The elk nearby where was close, but not close enough.

Cedar watched the few elk in front of her graze peacefully.

"Now." Cedar sprung up and raced after the herd as it scattered away, but reformed into the organized group it was before. 

The one in that back was clearly the slowest, so she ran faster, and cut in front of it.

The elk skidded to a halt, kicking up dirt in the process. 

Cedar was proud of what she learned, but she still had to take it down.

The elk took a step back, and glanced backwards nervously.

Cedar watched it for a moment, studying the elk's every move like a hawk.

She soon realized it was about to run, when it shifted sideways.

Cedar sprung into action, and once again, aimed for its neck. 

She used her back-paws to keep her steady, but this time, she used her front-paws to keep a better grip.

She held on tight, as the elk yanked away helplessly.

Cedar bit down as hard as she could. 

The elk dropped down onto its legs, and struggled for a few moments as she continued to succeed in her catch.

Eventually, it went limp in her grasp.

Cedar's eyes widened. 

"I did it! I actually did it!" She leapt up and down with joy, as she bent down and began to eat her newest catch.

The taste of fresh meat was amazing, it was soft and flavorful.

"Maybe my luck just might turn around." She said to herself, her mouth stuffed with the meat.  

"Maybe I can explore a bit more." She chirped, leaving her carcass behind for now. 

Cedar wandered along the hill and soon decided to follow a large creek, watching as beavers splashed around and fish swam away.

Cedar jerked back as a sharp sent filled her nose. 

"What is that smell..." She murmured. 

She kept on moving. 

She followed the creek which widened into a small stream.

A distant howl made her jump, and peer around cautiously.

"Its fine. We're fine." Cedar comforted herself, but turned around and wandered back to the sharp sent.

She forced herself to smell it, so she'd know what she was dealing with.

"Crevice Lake." She murmured.

"Maybe there's other packs here." She thought.

A sharp, earsplitting howl came from behind her, they must have caught her scent while she was passing through. 

"Good thing I turned around!" Cedar yelped, as the wolves came barreling down the hill into the valley.

She ran like she had just escaped the black void, and continued to run until her lungs hurt, causing her to slow down.

Cedar gave a quick glance behind her, but couldn't see anything.

She decided to keep running until she reached her elk carcass. 

She skidded to a halt, and crashed onto the dirt. 

"That..- Must..- Be..- Their..---" Cedar panted.

"Border." She finished.

She looked around cautiously, watching as the wolves who had been in the valley disappear up the hill.