Chapter 1 Cadet

I relive the moment that caused this situation in front of me. Sun glares at a horrible, skin-burning angle while wearing a cadet's uniform with an old man yelling at full volume. Right in my face not caring for our eardrums in the slightest way.

"What?" I exclaim, my tone marks me as unhappy as my brows knit together. "You want me, to enrol, go through three years of cadet training just so I can be a little shit, get into trouble and snoop around bloody Levi Ackernam's office to find dirt on him?"

My mouth opens as I blink rapidly, folding my arms I shake my head in disbelief. I despise the idea and every inch of my body vibrates with displeasure.

Shane nods, noting my posture, and my body change. "Yes."

"Why?" I demand, leaning forward and resting my palms on my knees. My eyes bore into him. "Why."

"I think you'd get the best possible result we can hope for." He answers evenly, not flinching at my glare. "Well pay you. We'll pay you real good."

"How good?" My eyes flash with the greed of money, overcoming the scoff of disgust sitting in my throat.

He smiles, it's the creepiest thing that's happened to me in my life, might I add. And I've seen a lot of creepy, nightmare-inducing things.

He slips a piece of paper to me, and I take it in my hands, my mouth instantly drops to the floor. "I accept," I say instantly, my gaze drawing from the paper and to him. Determination and greed flicker through them. 

"Thought you might."

Shane told me to be my cocky asshole self and get into the top ten cadets. Well, he didn't use those exact words, but that's the gist of it.

I inwardly groan while scolding myself. If I had only ignored the paycheck and listened to my gut, I wouldn't be getting yelled at while holding a silly solute, legs cramping and being surrounded by children.

The old man— Shadis, I think that was his name, I haven't been paying too much attention— stalks over to a blonde kid in need of a haircut in my opinion.

"Who are you!" Shadis bends to yell in the kid's face, the bald man makes me inwardly wince when I imagine the spit that's going to hit his face.

"Armin Arlert, from Zhiganshina, Sir!" The blonde— Armin replies with a shout, closing his eyes he uses his loudest possible voice.

"Yeah? That's a stupid name." Shadis tells him without a hint of hesitation. The blonde is practically shaking in his shoes, making a twinge of guilt hit me. "Your parents give you that?"

"My Grandfather, Sir!" Armin replies, struggling to keep his voice loud, indicating he's usually quiet.

"Arlert, What are you doing here?" The bald man questions, eyes narrowing.

"Trying to aid humanity's victory!" Sweat can be seen dripping from his face. Why is he that nervous? Shadis is nothing, wait until there's a dagger at your throat. But even that to me is exhilarating.

"That is truly wonderful, you will feed the Titans." Shadis shoots him down, his eyes seem to be burning a hole in Armin's soul.

"Row three about face!" He yells, strolling to his next victim. He stalks down the rows, yelling in people's faces and honestly spitting in them.

'Disgusting.'

Shadis continues down the rows, finally reaching me. He looks like he's going to skip me as he did for a few others, but, regrettably, changes his mind.