You Aren't Always Happy

Like the moon, our emotions tend to wax and wane. You can't always be happy, that's not humanly possible nor healthy. It's okay to be sad, just don't let it interfere with your everyday life. If you were happy all the time, you'd eventually get so used to the feeling that it'd start to feel like nothing.

Here's an example: cellphones makes our brains release dopamine (a happy hormone). Because we are on our phones so much, so much dopamine gets released that we eventually become a little numb. Our brains want a higher dosage of it, so we use our cellphones a lot more. Clearly, this is unhealthy. There is such thing as too much. Too much happiness leads to numbness.

Sadness can be a comforting feeling. Cry into the arms of a sweet friend, lie on the floor staring at the ceiling while listening to slowed reverb songs at 3 am, sit in the shower with your clothes on, whatever butters your croissant. Allow yourself to feel this. Emotions are colors and you are a rainbow. Feel the sadness, appreciate its presence. Sadness is always better than numbness. But never let yourself be sad all the time, you need the right portions of emotions at the right times. It's like food: if you eat too much protein, you'll have stomach issues. If you eat too much sugar, you'll crash and gain weight. You have to keep your emotions regulated like that so you don't get your noodle all in a twist.