Chapter 4: Meetups

History class. Is. So. BOOORIIIIING.

Last class of the day and of course it's one of the least interesting units left in the year. Sure, earlier it had some pretty cool stuff like The First War and The Age of Creators, but now it's just stuff that happened like 20 years ago and we already know about. At least History is being taught by that really nice new hire teacher, Mr. Cider. He's cool.

"The Kaleidoscope Event, as most of you know, was caused by an unfortunate accident in a lab upstate about 15 years ago." Mr. Cider drones on. "It caused mass changes in everything around it, affecting pretty much the entire world. There were many casualties, and everyone that survived joined the numbers of those who were altered. Anyone who was unaffected has either died or slowly was exposed to the point of also being changed by now. The lab, having been the epicenter of the strange blast, was built near a number of towns that held other species of Steves and otherwise. However, because of those towns being the only places those species lived because of its weather phenomenons only suiting them, all of those other species went extinct in moments. There was nothing let of those towns after the blast, yet the lab was still left standing. Nobody knows why that was, and the survivors of the event never usually want to talk about it, so we don't know much about what really went on within those walls. Nowadays, the survivors almost completely blend in with everyone else, excluding some of them that couldn't hide their afflictions caused by the incident. They have seemingly disappeared into society, all knowing each other still, but wanting to leave behind all that happened those years ago."

The bells rings, and everyone excitedly rushes out of the room.

"Goodbye, everyone! See you tomorrow!" Mr. Cider calls after us with a smile.

Happy and Jade, having been in the same class, catch up to me as we run to the usual meeting spot for all of us.

LC, Funny, Shy, Nerdy, and Loud smile at us as we join with them on the sidewalk in front of the school. We all start walking towards town, that being where most of our homes are. Jade and I are the only ones that live on the seaside near the beach.

"Hey Orange, did you actually have to fight somebody?" LC asks me as we walk.

"No, I didn't fight him. You know I hate fights." I sigh. "Some Yellow Steve was picking on Shy for no reason."

"Y-Yeah, I dunno w-what his issue was..." Shy adds. "I-I was just walking to c-class, and he s-shoved me over."

"What a JERK." Loud says, forgetting his volume control now that we're out of the school building.

"Geez, you okay man?" Funny asks.

"Y-Yeah, I'm good." Shy smiles. "Orange got t-there just in time."

"He ran away like a scared cat once he recognized me." I chuckle.

"You've gotten quite the reputation at school in the past two years..." Jade says. "I mean, I've never seen someone like that soccer jock run so quickly. What was his name again?"

"Sienna. His name is Sienna." I groan. "And he's a dipstick."

"Wait, isn't that the same guy you knocked flat at the beginning of the year?" LC says excitedly.

"Yeah, why?" I ask.

"DUDE, HOW DID YOU NOT DIE?!" Loud exclaims. "THAT GUY IS BUILT LIKE A BRICK WALL!"

"Uh, yeah, ditto." Nerdy says. "Pretty sure I saw him put a dent in the school wall once. With his fist."

"Eh, bigger they are, the harder they fall." I shrug. "He's not so tough once someone knocks him down a peg or two. Still tries to mess with me with his scrawny buddy Ember, though."