Caught

"I should have guessed it was you two," Mave laughed.

You stood bashfully next to Jake, hands intertwined and your other holding onto his forearm. A federal criminal, that's what you were now. A bit of a dramatic way to look at it, but it was the truth.

"Sir," Jake nodded, "I can't say I'm sorry. It was worth every ounce of punishment."

"Would it help if I said sorry, Uncle Pete?" You asked. "Are you going to tell Aunt Penny?"

This made him laugh, smiling the biggest smile you'd ever seen on his face, "No apologies needed." He took a step toward the two of you. "You know my first date with your aunt, way back in the day, was a joyride in an F-18."

"No way!" You exclaimed with a smile.

Jake laughed, "That would have been a better first date idea."

"Wait," Mave paused for a moment, "this isn't your first?"

You both shook your head.

"How long has this been going on?"

"Six months. Basically, since the day you both showed up at The Hard Deck." You smiled, looking up at Jake.

"Best six months of my life." Jake squeezed your hand with a smile.

Maverick raked his hand over his face. "I owe your aunt a hundred dollars."

Neither you nor Jake spoke, waiting for a better explanation. Had he and Penny bet on this? You didn't exactly hide it. You tried to keep the PDA to a minimum at the bar, but it absolutely happened.

"Penny said it was going on back when we came home." Mave finally explained. "Something about the way you wouldn't stop pacing until you heard from us."

"And you?" Jake asked.

"Well, I didn't see it happening until you were ready to settle down."

"You really couldn't tell?" You questioned.

"Are you ready to settle down, Hangman?" Mave passed right over your question.

Without hesitation, Jake responded. "That's why I asked for my orders to be extended. I requested to be stationed on North Island regardless of assignment."

"But you asked that before we left on our mission."

Jake looked down at you. "I knew back then." He brushed a strand of hair behind your ear, "I knew there would never be anything else out there for me. The best was waiting for me back here."

"Jake," you spoke barely above a whisper. Your heart warmed from the statement.

"Well, I'm supposed to be here to figure out who went on a joyride." Mave shook his head, still smiling. "I'll take care of command. Take her home."

"Thank you, sir."

You stood on your tiptoes to kiss Mave on the cheek. "Thanks, Uncle Pete."

"Lieutenant Seresin," Mave said, prompting you both to turn around. His use of Jake's name and rank clearly indicated he was serious about whatever he would say next. "Be smarter than I was. Don't let her go if you really feel the way you claim."

"Yes, sir." Jake took his orders.

"And as her uncle, don't break her heart. Remember what I am capable of."

You chuckled, "Bodily harm or career ended." You mumbled.

"Sir, I can assure you have no intentions of doing either."

"Good. Now you're dismissed." Mave spoke again, choking back his emotions.

You were almost out of the hangar when you heard him laugh to himself and mumble something about Penny having a field day. You had a feeling that you'd be hearing from her before your shift at The Hard Deck tonight. But it wouldn't be a one-sided conversation. You had questions about her and Mave's relationship.

"Babe," Jake spoke, coming to a stop.

Looking up at him, you saw a look in his eyes you'd never seen before. A new level of adoration and devotion.

"I don't say this enough. I love you."

"I know, Jake." You pressed up on your tiptoes, kissing him. "I love you too."

He kissed the top of your head and squeezed your hand gently. "Let's go home; I'll show you just how much I love you."