Stalling from the truth

Top Hat was patiently waiting at the new pier area, as his boiler was being left to cool. He'd been towing car ferries since he first started up his engine, and he was absolutely exhausted from this.

And it wasn't just the constant towing, tying, or beating sunlight heat, it was also the chatter and bicker of Frank and Eddie, the two rail ferries of Bigg City Port. They were the only ones commissioned by the railways of Bigg City, and the only ones usable.

The old ones had no sentience, thus making them easier to be damaged, or being kept up monitored, and often not inspected for any weather or breaking.

"Why do I always have to put up with their nonsense," fumed Top Hat to no one in particular, "I'm not even interested in what they have to say!" He groaned.

But it was only him. And nobody else.

No tug, no body by the megaphone, just him, and the cars parked near by, but those hadn't anyone in there anyway.

It wouldn't be for long though, as Top Hat heard a tug engine rattling, and moving.

Then, a jump scare of a whistle was heard. A low pitched, but quick toot of a very well known and familiar tugboat, it was none other than Big Mac and Warrior.

Big Mac saw Top Hat, and him and Warrior came to a halt, right at the entrance of the construction sight.

Big Mac and Top Hat locked eyes. Top Hat realized Big Mac knew something was up with him, and his mind scrambled in a panic.

Top Hat just stared. In reality his mind was deciding on if not he should speak first, or talk even! He didn't know if Big Mac was going to speak first, he just didn't. So he stood there quietly, but slighty shaking a little.

In all of a sudden during that moment, Big Mac broke the silence himself.

"Well", he said with his gravely, deep Scottish voice, "Top Hat." He huffed. "Fancy seeing you here." He grunted, rather unemotionally.

Top Hat recognized his manner of speaking wasn't in the nicest or politest way, so his instinct kicked in to snap back. "Hmph," he retorted, "Big Mac. What are you doing in my waters?" He quipped.

Big Mac felt hurt, almost offended. "Your waters??" He snapped back. "These depths belong to no tug of your attitude!" Replied Big Mac angrily.

Warrior tried to break it up before stirring into a full blown argument. "Guys, just relax!" He spoke. "We're not here to cause no harm." He replied, "We just.. got a contract for delivering supplies for the building sight. That's all!" He answered.

Big Mac and Top Hat settled down. Both of them didn't mean to begin a fight, they just had very sensitive tempers.

"We.. should get these bricks unloaded, Warrior." Sighed Big Mac, in a state of relief. He reversed slowly to the weathered, old brown crane, to unload his barge load. The roar, rattle and shake absolutely set Big Mac's ming into a chaotic mess. As if the disorienting noise were to scrub clean anything, even a slight memory of anything related to Top Hat.

He froze. Froze to almost a point of paralysis. He didn't quite know how to respond, didn't even know if he could, or should. Big Mac's eyes set itself on the wide, vast area or dark, rich blue deep sea.

Warrior tugged his barge quickly up alongside. The ropes began to work their industrial magic, tying onto a load of bricks, and slowly but very carefully lifted the heavy weighted load up and out of the barge.

"Well erm - Captain says we could have a little break after this.." huffed Warrior, unsure if Big Mac would even care to process any word he'd said. Warrior, still quite upset at his two harbour tug friends, plucked up the courage to speak once more.

He took one deep breath. But only he, and his cooling engine would take note. "I think we should have a break, Big Mac. C'mon, we'll get these unloaded, then let's have a nice relaxing afternoon off, shall we?" He suggested with an encouraging tone.