Chapter 1

I stopped, and looked around. "Dara, how far is it?" She stopped and opened the map on the ground, while Ma' and Pa' stopped two. "It's far enough, we should keep going before night dawn's." I nodded, I can't argue with her there, I just wanted to get there as fast as possible, just like everyone else. "Does anyone want water?" Pa' stretching his arms, so the bucket with waters open to everyone. "Make sure you take a little bit. I don't want to have to walk back to the water hole we stopped at yesterday." Added Milqu.
I took out my bowl from my pouch, and took a little bit. Desperate, I gulped the whole thing down, sparing none to enjoy it. Without knowing I reached for more. "No one is getting seconds, Salvea." I frowned, and again, attempted to get another sip. Before I knew it, Dara was grabbing me by my shirt. "We already told you, ain't no one getting seconds."
She whispered. Dara always felt the need to boss me around, because she was older than me. Sure, I was only 10 and she was 13 but that don't mean she got authority. The slightly damp sand below my feet, it had rained earlier today, when we started to walk again. "I'm tired, can we stop Ma'?" Asked Milqu, desperate for some sort of relief. His feet, blistering red. "We can't stop now, Mil. We must keep moving, we have to make it to Somalia, we cannot stop. We're almost at Kenya." Dara said. With her so-fast-talking, smart mouth, she can get in and out of trouble and I just don't like it. "Ma', I am tired too, my feet are blistering purple." I nagged onto her rags, while Dara smacked me-upside my head, repeatedly. She thought it would be a good idea to dig through my pouch, whilst she hit me with her other hand. Did I mention, she was quick and sneaky too? Before I knew it, my pouch was strapped off my hips, and in her hands. First she pulled out the papers that I had left to save for drawings out, then the ones with drawings on them. "Aren't these pretty?" I let go of Ma's rags, and reached for the papers. "Give it back Dara!"She did this because I was annoying her, but I don' know what I did to annoy her. Usually I'll make fun of her and her used-to-be boyfriend, or go through her stuff before the war, back at home. But I am not capable of doing anything that annoying. "Dara, I said give it back."
She shook her head no, and I snapped. I grabbed her pouch, and grabbed a picture of her boyfriend. "I'll rip it too shreds and drown it under the water. " I threatened. As soon as she saw it, she threw my pouch, and in return I put the picture back in her bag and handed it back to her. "You little turd!" Now I got her busy, she kept calling me names and insulting me, but it was way better than her fast-talking. "You listening?" She asked me. "Yuh-uh"
I said before getting his in my head. "Dara, ENOUGH"