✦ STRONGER THAN WORDS

chapter five

chapter five

✦  ✦  ✦  ✦
━━━━━

IN HINDSIGHT, it would've been smarter to stay with the group. She realizes that now.

It started when Sam and Mack got back from chasing a cold lead. It's been three very long weeks of nothing, and everyone is starting to spiral. Sam especially. So, any time he finds a lead, Mack goes along with him.

She tells herself to keep an eye on him, but really, she's just as worried about Dean as he is. She can't stop thinking about him, no matter how hard she tries. About how many small moments they had. Single moments of connection. She doesn't know why she's holding on so hard to them. It'd be so much easier, so much simpler to just let it go. Move on. Yet she can't.

She also can't understand why the fuck Dean thought it'd be a good idea to let Michael in. She doesn't know what exactly went down, how he decided to do it. Frankly, she doesn't care. If she had a choice, she'd be dead and the rest of them would be free. Dean would still be around. Michael's just using him, and it makes her sick.

She doesn't even want to think about what Michael might be doing to him on the inside.

Then it was the demon ransom call. While trying to get answers about Dean, Castiel was taken hostage in a bar full of demons.

So they all pack up and head out to get him, despite the likeness of it being a trap. Then Jack asks to come along, and Sam lets him despite him being powerless and still very new to fighting. Mack agrees though, because he'll never learn if he doesn't get any real fighting experience.

It quickly turns into a demon brawl. Mack gets thrown into multiple tables and nearly gets stabbed in the leg. But everyone survives, and that's all that matters.

When she hears a voice outside the bar, she should've ignored it. She should've ignored it the way she ignores her dreams, and driven back with Sam and Mary. For some reason, she doesn't this time. A terrible decision on her part, really.

Sam questions her, asks if she's alright. She says she'll be back in a minute.

She goes to the other side of the bar, and hears it again.

"Can you hear me?"

She freezes when she recognizes it.

She hesitates before whispering, "Dean?"

"Try again."

She turns just as Michael grabs her, and everything goes dark.

So, yeah, in hindsight, it would've been smarter to stay with the group.

✦ ✦

SHE WAKES sitting on the ground, with her wrists bound above her. Wherever she is, it's dark. It doesn't take long for her eyes to adjust.