Chapter 1

A/N I'm on vacation and got a new idea for a book. I'll return to my other stories at some point, but I needed a fresh start to come back with before jumping back into my other stories. Let me know what you think in the comments!

Kate's POV

Walking into my apartment, I juggled my bag, purse, coffee, keys, and the takeout I had just picked up. My phone rang, causing me to rush into my kitchen to set my things down on the island. Pulling my phone out of my purse, I get excited seeing it's my boyfriend, Rick. Answering, I bring the phone to my ear, "Hey, babe! Are you on your way over?"

I heard Rick sigh, "Kate, I need to tell you something."

I automatically begin to worry at the tone of his voice. "Is everything okay? Do you need me to come to you instead? I can..."

Rick abruptly cut me off, "No, look, Kate, I think we should break up." I stood there, shocked. Not hearing me speak, he continued, "I just don't see a future for us."

Finally, my brain thawed out a little, "You couldn't have done this in person? We've been together for six months; I think I deserved more than a phone call."

Rick sighed heavily again, but he did not answer my question. The silence hung heavily over the phone. Finally, I spoke again, "Look, if it's because I work too much, I can cut back."

"Kate, it's not that. I don't see marriage in our future." It seemed Rick wasn't going to be offering me any other explanations.

"I guess then I have to let you go. Goodbye, Rick." With that, I hung up my phone. Staring down at my phone, I watched as a tear fell and hit the screen. Reaching my hand up, I brushed away the tears falling down my face. Taking deep breaths, I tried calming myself down. It wasn't long before I collapsed to the ground, and sobs began to break free.

After some time, I was able to start thinking clearly and grabbed my phone to call my best friend. Hearing her answer, I immediately said her name, "Carli." I cringed at how hoarse my voice sounded.

Carli went on high alert, "Kate, honey, what's wrong? Who do I need to kill?"

"Rick broke up with me," I spoke a little more clearly this time.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry. Are you at home? I'm on my way to you." With that, Carli hung up.

Placing my phone on the counter, I dragged myself off the ground. I went to my bedroom and changed out of my work clothes. Living in St. Louis, I work as an architect. I love older buildings and work to help them keep their old charm while bringing them into the now and making them a safe place. Helping to keep buildings that are part of the history of a location from being torn down and enjoyed for generations to come is a passion. Unfortunately, in some people's eyes, it's a passion that takes up too much of my time. At 32, my family pressures me to settle and start a family. I'm not getting any younger, they always tell me. I thought Ricky was it. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but no one is. Thinking about Ricky caused the tears to start up again.

After putting on a pair of sweats, I walked into the living room to curl up on the couch to wait for Carli. We live together, but she was out this evening, so Ricky and I could have some alone time.

I pulled the blanket off the back of the couch as I heard keys entering the lock on the door. I watched from my spot as Carli entered; she had her usual look. Carli was a tall leggy blonde that guys would trip over their tongues. She was a yoga instructor causing her to be slender but fit. She had some of the bluest eyes I'd ever seen, almost an exact match to the color of the sky. I noticed that she was carrying several grocery bags looking angry. As soon as she saw me on the couch, she gave me a sad look, "Oh honey, I've got everything we need; ice cream, Oreos, Cheeto puffs, chocolate, wine, tequila, chips & salsa, chocolate, cake, and did I mention chocolate, lots of chocolate.