𝐢. 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐰𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐲

DEAR AMY    !
chapter one     !

𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑤𝑓𝑢𝑙 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑑𝑎𝑦 ;

𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑤𝑓𝑢𝑙 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑑𝑎𝑦 ;

⠀⠀⠀ On the last Sunday morning of September 1976, at precisely nine o'clock, Amelia Allen had already deemed the entire day a disaster.

⠀⠀⠀ She was picking at her first meal of the day when she came to the disappointing conclusion.

⠀⠀⠀ Outside, instead of the usual dreary grey, the sky was painted blue. Blazes of amber reflected off each surface the sun graced, drying the minuscule droplets of morning dew that had settled across the greenery. With lulls of birdsong humming through the air and delicate flowers nodding gently in the breeze, the weather that morning could easily be defined by only one word: glorious.

⠀⠀⠀ Having said that, in Amelia's opinion, it was truly horrendous.

⠀⠀⠀ Her foul mood was not a reflection of her feelings toward the forecast (though she was not particularly happy about being blinded by the sunlit nature); it was how everyone else reacted that left her irritable temper hanging heavily above her head like a dreary grey cloud.

⠀⠀⠀ It all started early that morning, when the first thing to enter her eyeline was the bright, wide eyes of her chipper dormmate, Cassandra Hart. Amelia nearly punched the unfortunate girl out of sheer fright before realising that it was only her dormmate and not some lunatic watching her sleep.

⠀⠀⠀ Having known each other since they were both sorted into Ravenclaw at age eleven, Amelia had grown accustomed to the somewhat strange attributes that made up Cassandra Hart, not that she appreciated them.

⠀⠀⠀ Cassandra was the human embodiment of the sun. With a beautiful smile that seemed permanently etched on her face and a bright, bubbly personality, it was almost impossible for anyone to dislike her (not that Amelia hadn't tried). She had hoped on numerous occasions over the years that Cassandra would finally get the hint and leave her alone. It sounded mean, and it was, but Amelia couldn't find it in herself to care. She was perfectly fine continuing her life in solitary.

⠀⠀⠀ Nevertheless, Cassandra Hart was the same girl who had put up with her housemate's cold-hearted attitude for years, now it just seemed to roll off her back.

⠀⠀⠀ To Amelia, this left Cassandra perched on the edge of a very fine line between unbearable and tolerable.

⠀⠀⠀ That still didn't make them friends, and it certainly didn't make it acceptable for Cassandra to wake up Amelia at the break of day just because she wanted to 'go and watch the sunrise'.

⠀⠀⠀ This early intrusion left Amelia struggling to get back to the dreamless state her mind had previously had her in. Cassandra's untimely disturbance paired with the unreasonably loud birds (who made it quite obvious through their chirps they couldn't be fucking happier about the sun rising once again), Amelia was left gazing at the canopy hanging above her bed, wondering what kind of misfortune today would ultimately bring.