2

Laney

The fresh aroma of vanilla fills the air.

"Here are your keys. The wifi password for your dorm is on the pamphlet I left on your coffee table." The woman stirs her coffee and takes a sip. "Enjoy."

She walks away, leaving a mixed scent of coffee and vanilla behind her.

I turn to my dorm and unlock the door. Room C10 will be my home for the next few years. I've heard that everyone will be sharing a dorm with another person, I'm hoping the person I get stuck to is normal.

Just as I lock the door, I hear the sound of jingling keys. The door opens and the creaking sound it makes sends a chill down my spine.

A boy with reddish-hair who looks like he could be my brother walks in. "Oh hey, you must be my roommate! I'm Larry Nepp."

"Larry Nepp? Wait, from the Newmans?!" I almost drop my bags.

"I haven't been associated with the Newmans for a while. Do I know you?" He asks as he furrows his eyebrows.

"Yeah, I'm Laney Penn, I used to be a member of Grojband," I formally say.

His mouth drops wide.

"You're in Joyville now? I didn't think I'd see anyone from Peaceville here. It's been a while!"

"Yeah, it has, how have you been? And how's Carrie?"

"I'm doing great, just need to finish my classes. I'm not sure what I want to be yet though. And-" his gaze lowers. "I don't feel like talking about her."

"Oh- sorry."

He stands there with a frown. I think I pushed him a bit too far. "It's alright, we can talk about it as soon as we catch up a bit."

"I'll get to unpacking now." I tell him.

"Yeah, I should too."

As I walk to my chosen room, Larry stops me in my tracks.

"Wait, how's Corey?" He asks.

I stiffen. "I haven't seen him in a while. He's never even texted me since I moved here.

"I'm sorry for asking about him. Do you want to go eat out so we can clear our minds?"

I turn around. "I haven't eaten out in a while, so why not?"

*

Larry and I arrive at the front of Barbra's Steakhouse.

"I've been here before. I went with Carrie when we went on a road trip here," Larry admits. "Their steak is so good from what I can remember."

"I trust your judgement," I reply. I don't know what else to say to him. I've already made him uncomfortable by mentioning Carrie in the first place.

I order a steak with corn and mash potatoes. While Larry orders ribs and coleslaw.

"We had a fight back then. I called her reckless for her gig plans and she got angry at me. That was when I quit the band." Larry finally says.

"What?"

"Carrie and I," he says, clearing his throat.

"Oh- I'm sorry that happened..."

"I feel like I needed to tell you; what about you?"

"I moved away from Peaceville at 14. My mom had gotten a new job here."

We both go silent and continue eating our food.

We're in the same boat.

The frontmen we both knew and loved so much were out of our lives.