The Round Table Chronicles

"The death of King Arthur was a tragedy to all that had been forced to witness it. Betrayed by his son, his only son, with a sword driven through his lungs. 'I'll see you in hell, father.' Were the final words Sir Mordred had spoken to him. It was now, that the Once and Future King was to perish. However, before releasing his dying breath, he had been confronted by someone he had known all too well. 'Morgan?' The king coughed up blood, letting it leak onto his chipped and tarnished armor as his gaze soon returned to Mordred.

"His son lay motionless on the ground, already dead after being smote with Excalibur, the mightiest of all blades. ‘I shall take you to a place of respite, my brother.'

"Arthur looked to Morgan once again. ‘Why did you take my child from me? Why did you wish so much to slay me?' She gave no answer and only knelt to his side, gently sweeping the bloodstained hair from his face. 'Why?'

"'You had everything, and I, nothing. You were loved, and I hated. Why would one ever wish a horrid life such as this?' Though it had seemed her cries fell upon dead ears as Arthur's eyes fluttered closed. The life was quickly fading from him as did the blood and breath he once held. The Once and Future King, had fallen.'" Suddenly the book was slammed closed and I was snapped back to reality. I was pulled from the Battle of Camlann, and into my class from where I whence came.

Mr. Ambrosius cleared his throat and began to speak once more. "Kay, so since we read that," He paused. "Anyone know what happens next?" The room quickly fell silent as nearly every student slumped back into their chairs, mostly with no idea what was to become of the fair King Arthur. Me? I made myself comfortable and attempted to take a nap.

Mr. Ambrosius scratched at his beard and scanned the room, in hopes of a volunteer. Once he realized that this wasn't going to work, he focused instead on his victim. "Garrett," The brunette in the back of the class snapped up. "Can you please tell me what happened after Arthur's death?"

Garrett was a soft spoken kid, pretty sweet too unless he was pitted against his cousin. But nonetheless, he nervously blushed and swept his bangs from his eyes. "I... The body was burned like a king's would have?"

Mr. Ambrosius sighed and pushed up his bifocals. So that was when I decided to save the day once again. I raised my pale hand, still looking dead asleep on my desk and waved it around a little. "Sylvia!" His jovial tone returned. "Tell us, what happened next?"

"Arthur's body was taken to Avalon by Morgan. However, he perished on the way. Once in Avalon though, his body is laid to rest in order to heal. It is said he will return to Earth in Britain's greatest hour of need. When that time comes, he and all the knights will return to kick some serious-"

"That's good, Sylvie!" He cut me off with a laugh before I cussed in front of the class. With that I gave a shrug and rested back on my desk once more. You see, I've known Mr. Ambrosius since I was a kid, and we're close friends. It's thanks to him I know all this stuff on King Arthur and his little posse. But hey, it's what I grew up with and it's what I wanted to stick with till I died. I loved it. "Though she's right. It is written in prophecy that someday The Once and Future King will rise again and reclaim his throne when Britain is in its darkest times." The teacher's smile grew. "Some say he has already returned and is among us as of even now or even was reincarnated into someone in this very room." In the back, Garrett frowned at the ending of his sentence. "Something wrong, Galahad?" The whole class had given him the nickname of Galahad the Pure for one main reason.

"You claim that one day King Arthur will be reincarnated."

"So?"

"It's said in the Bible that everyone only lives once. Only Jesus can come back from death." He's a complete Bible Thumper. Though at his comment, it seemed the class held small snickers and whispers, most of which possibly making fun of Garrett’s strong Christian values. Frankly, I'm fine with him being a bit of a Jesus Freak, to each their own. At least he's sweet.