Freedom

So, if you found this fanfic by chance, hello, this is an "Elephant Man" fanfic. If you have real interest, this is about 'Bytes boy', played by Dexter Fletcher in the movie. I've always wanted to write about him, to fill the gaps and holes in his history. But in the end, I feel this short story didn't do him justice. All I could do was create from scratch, since not even Lynch bothered to give us any details.

'Jimmy' was mentioned in Howell and Ford's book and he was Tom Norman's assistant. I gather Lynch used him as the model for Bytes's boy? Well, all I know is that the real Jimmy annoyed the heck out of Mr. Treves.

Saoirse Brennan is my OC.

It had been ages. He was only a 12 year old boy then.

Now, ten years later and con after con, he couldn't find a heiress who wanted to marry him. No matter how much he teased and played with these women... they never fell for him.

What could be wrong? He knew he was handsome. He acquired a small fortune, even though he lost it, but having it for a while proved he was sagacious and intelligent. He learned from someone, someone he never forgot, that "the mind was the standard of the man".

And so he went to Ireland. He didn't particularly like the place. But he heard of a beautiful and rich bar owner and that's all he needed to know. Beautiful and rich. Which was best? He couldn't tell.

It wasn't hard to find the bar in that small county. Everyone seemed to know her, and by the tales he had heard, boy did she sound gorgeous. The red-haired, fiery owner of the bar "Saoirse's". The eccentric, crazy red. Well, that was not good information. But he could turn everything to his favor, like he'd always done.

Too bad he decided to fall in love with Alessandra. Alessandra Rousseau, part French, part Spaniard and a complete harlot, in the sense of the word. She could make her own money, but robbed him of his savings. He was hoping to God this eccentric red-haired was just a hysterical woman he could control and take everything from. It wouldn't be his fault. After all, she was a sick person.

While he raved, he realized he heard music and song. Irish people were so happy. They would always burst into song into those nasty, disgusting stablishments on Whitechapel. Now at least they were in a green, flowery meadow, swarmed with leprechauns.

But he had to admit, he was impressed with the bar. He could see people of all kind: drunk men singing, drunk men laughing, drunk men, a band...

And there she was, the hysterical woman. She seemed calm and collected enough, pouring drinks and conversing with her clientele. Somehow, he didn't feel comfortable approaching her.

Then, she looked at him.

He could see her piercing green eyes, dragging him

He could see her piercing green eyes, dragging him. Her hair seemed soft, and "fiery" was not a satisfactory word to describe it. She eyed him with curiosity, and he felt bashful for the first time in his life.

"What's your poison?" she asked, and when he heard that musical voice mixed with that accent, he knew he was in love.

He would marry that one. He had been looking for her since... since forever.

"Hey! Are you dozing off, or are you already drunk?"

He chuckled. She was so impolite, for such a beautiful lady. But he'd teach her manners.

He asked for any kind beverage. Whatever. He just wanted to make conversation. She was behind the counter, after all. A bartender's job was to listen, wasn't it?

"So... This is your bar?" he asked, timidly, sipping his beer.

"Yeah. My name is Saoirse."

"Oh, it's such a beautiful name... What does it mean?"

He could swear she had rolled eyes, but of course it was just a trick of the light.

"You can always buy a dictionary of names. It's very popular in Ireland, for those who want to name babies."

He looked confused.

"But I don't wanna a baby. At least... not now."

She ignored him, pretending she hadn't heard his innuendo, turned around to leave and forgot the rag that was on her right shoulder on the counter. She took a violin, opened the door and walked towards the wooden stage where the band was.

Then, he realized... By the circumference of her belly, she'd probably need that baby names dictionary.

And if he didn't want a baby, he'd better leave. Right away.

Saoirse started playing what sounded like the saddest tune to him, when he turned around to go away and gagged a scream.

It could not be.

"You? Here? The Elephant Man?"

The man he stared at was completely deformed. He had protuding bones from his forehead, his head was almost three feet in circumference, and spongy skin hung from his face and the back of his head. Deformation of the jaws prevented him from showing facial expression and speaking clearly.

But somehow... he looked better now.

Happier.

His eyes, even his skin, were glowing.

"I'm sorry," said the man politely. "Who are you? Have you been to any of my Carnivals?"

The stranger laughed, without mirth.

"Have I changed that much? I used to work for that maniac, Bytes. The day I helped you escape I took the beating of my life."

"Oh, I am so sorry!" said the Elephant Man. "I never meant to cause you any trouble. I'm in your debt myself, what can I do for you since you're here, after such a long time?"

Now, Bytes boy was even more confused.

"What do you mean? Do you own the bar or something?"

"Or something, more precisely. But I can grant favors."

The red was approaching them.

No. How the hell in Nature could that be possible??

"That's my Saoirse. Saoirse, this is...?"

The Elephant Man looked at Bytes boy sheepishly.

"Call me Jimmy. And what should I call you?"

"My name is John Merrick. I'm very pleased to meet you."

It was surreal. Merrick was holding Saoirse against the side of his body and she was retributing by supporting her red head on his shoulder and enveloping the small of his back with a long arm. All that with a contented smile!

Then that child... was his?

"Agra, could you please take my place behind the counter? I can't stand on my feet."

"My God, Saoirse! Of course I will. You were the one who insisted I cleaned the bathrooms. And after I accepted it, I realized why."

While Merrick dislocated himself to the counter, Saoirse asked a shocked Jimmy:

"So, what did you want, after all?"

He had nothing left. Sighing, Jimmy replied:

"A job."

"Good. You can start immediately. You will do anything my husband and I don't want to: clean the bathrooms and scrub the floors. Then, I'll see if I fire you or promote you."

Jimmy had no idea whether Saoirse was serious or not, so his mouth twitched a little. While she was leaving to sing, she told him:

"And my name means Freedom, by the way."