Cup of tea?

The cold breeze slammed against my face as I navigated the abandoned fairgrounds. The people who worked the machinery had left for the day, the fair wasn't open. The rides were torn apart, revealing circuits and wires and chunks of metal since the fair would be moving to the next town over in a few days.

I was there because my friend Emily and her mom wanted to come and see how the rides were built so they could make miniature versions at home for our dolls. I always loved designing dresses and doing the dolls hair, Emily was far more interested in designing the sets for the stories I made to take place. Where were they? I must've gotten lost.

I walked around the attractions and booths, empty shells of what they were during open hours. I looked around in awe, then to the sky. It was cloudy and getting dark, fast. 

My foot caught on something cold and sharp and my face met the ground, hard. I struggled to get up as my arms gave out from underneath me. Finally I was able to sit, though my head was throbbing. I reach up to survey the damage, only to see my hand come back covered in a sticky red substance. My mouth tasted bitter as I realized it was blood on my hand, the taste turned sharp as I felt a large gash along my tongue, cheek, and lips. I must've bitten down hard when I'd fallen, though I didn't notice until now.

"Well, well, well... look what little birdie flew into our trap this time, William," said a sing-song voice.

"Yes, yes, indeed, a fine specimen too, Benjamin," said a chillingly cheerful voice to the other.

"Ah, but it seems they've lost a lot of blood, yes? Perhaps they are too far gone for our benevolent rescue..." said the original voice, Benjamin.

William laughed, a cold forced sound. "You're as funny as ever my friend, for we both know that no being is beyond our ability to transform."

"Of course, of course. Take out a few veins here..."

"A couple organs there..."

"A heart,"

"Or a lung,"

"And they'll be better than ever!"

"New and improved!"

"Yes, yes, I can see it now," one of them said. I felt their cold hand brush against my face, lifting it up, as if for examination. "We'll make you into something great."

I wanted to scream as a searing pain went through my body. I'd been jabbed with something in my leg, I only knew because I'd had one too many allergic reactions to peanuts at school and had to use an epi-pen on numerous occasions. This wasn't an epi-pen, though, they didn't feel like this. This was far worse than any allergic reaction. My head was throbbing. Was this what death felt like?

"Please... please no..." I whispered, my voice nothing but a rasp. "Please... I don't want to die..."

One of them gave a chuckle, though it was anything but friendly. "Trust me, when we're through with you, you'll wish you had," they said.

"Don't worry though," said the other. "We'll take good care of you."

...

The chimes to the door startled Elira out of his memory. His eyes snapped open, adjusting to the light of the coffee shop. Right. This wasn't a dream. He wasn't back... He was in the coffee shop. It was his 13 year anniversary. Right. Right. He tapped his thumb against each of his fingers in that familiar rhythm. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5-