Secrets

Secrets have a cost. They are not for free. Not now, not ever. -May Parker, The Amazing Spiderman.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter twenty: Secrets

Mahaya had another breakfast meeting with Karen Roe.

Last time, it was about submitting her bio data, the official one, not the one the company had on her.

This time, it was an update meeting.

How she was doing, how many cases she had closed since the last meeting, how much work load she could handle.

And Mahaya was sure it was going to delightful meeting.

Except the last case.

It was a debt settlement by the Sharmas and it was going as slowly as possible.

Mahaya drummed her fingers against the table, waiting for her to come.

She looked at her phone and saw a text message from Yashraj.

Hi, how's the meeting going?

She smiled quietly as she punched in a reply.

It still has to happen. She hasn't arrived yet.

She looked around the restaurant, waiting for her to come.

How about I come there to entertain you? My company can be a good impact on your profile. ;)

She rolled her eyes.

Nah. Nada. No. I want to go to New York, so don't.

It had been two weeks since they'd been dating and Mahaya has been happy.

Though it didn't seem like much had changed. Except that both of them spent more time together and been doing the couples stuff.

It has been pretty much the same except that the games they played earlier with their respective dates had come to a stop.

Mahaya felt her phone vibrate in her hand.

Blah blah. If you say so.

She resisted an urge to smile as she saw Karen entering.

Ttyl.

"Hello." Karen greeted.

"Hi."

Both of them sat down.

"You're late." Mahaya said.

Karen grimaced and then spoke in her accent.

"I'm sorry about that. The traffic was pretty bad."

Mahaya nodded.

"It's Mumbai."

"Well, once you come to New York, you wouldn't say the same thing. It's worse." Karen shook her head.

Mahaya's heart fluttered.

"Once I come to New York?" She asked, trying really hard not to choke.

Karen laughed lightly.

"I mean, once we have selected you."

Mahaya nodded.

Karen put her hand on hers.

"Look, here's the deal Mahaya. Personally, I like you. I think you have the best shot at this job but this case that you are currently working on, that brings you down. Rashi Chandak has closed two more cases in last two months. And if there has to be a competition it has to be between the two of you. Close this case Mahaya and you have the spot." Karen promised.