Chapter 2. Preparations for Halloween

One year later
I had accepted Michael was different. He's violent, rude and swears a lot, but he was nice to me. He was with me all the time. Probably to escape the mess at home and it was fine. It meant I wasn't alone and he could vent. My mom had asked me get some milk from the store so that's what I was doing, but on my way, I decided to make a stop at the Myers house. I knocked and took a step back. Deborah opened up. 'Hello Ms. Myers... I am looking for Michael, is he home?' She nodded and stepped aside to let me in. 'Yes, he is. How are you doing?' She asked. 'I great...' She turned to the stairs. 'Michael, you have a visitor!' she yelled before looking back at me. She was nice. 'He's not really having a good day, maybe you can cheer him up a little bit.'

I watched Michael jumped off the stairs and smiled. 'Celeste!' he embraced me. 'Hi, Michael, want to hang out?' He nodded his head rapidly and grabbed his shoes. 'Are you going trick or treating next week?' Deborah questioned. 'Yeah, I usually don't celebrate Halloween, but Michael talked me into it...' I replied as I watched the blonde grab his coat. 'What are you going to wear?' I sighed and met her gaze. 'I don't yet... Michael wants to go as clown, but it will look weird if I go as a princess... so, I was thinking about something that matches him a little bit more... we are still brainstorming.' She smiled and brushed a blonde strand from my face. Michael nodded. 'Yeah, but I have great ideas. Come on.' He opened the door. 'Have fun, you two!' Deborah called out. 'Thank you, Ms. Myers,' I said and shut the door behind me.

'Left, I need to get some milk for my mom.' Michael swiftly turned around. 'You said you had ideas?' He nodded rapidly. I absolutely dread Halloween, I find it scary but it was important to Michael, so I gave in on go trick or treating and also let him pick the costume. He reached for a piece of paper and unfolded it. 'What do you think of this?' he handed me the piece of paper. 'My costume has blue in it... so I thought maybe you can wear blue too.' I studied the messy drawing he made of what I guess the assistant of a magician. 'It looks good... we can make a stop at the shop in town and see if they have something like this.' Michael nodded. I bought the milk first before we headed into town. 'Have you heard Wesley is missing?' I asked after a brief silence while walking towards the shop. 'Oh...' was his reply. 'At least he won't bully you anymore,' Michael added.

Wesley had been a complete jerk to me since he figured Michael and I were best friends. I rubbed my throat. The other day, he had beat me and tried to choke me. Michael sort of saved me. My throat was still sore. 'True, neither to you, but I keep wondering what happened...' I mumbled. Michael waved his hand. 'It doesn't matter... he's gone and he won't come back.'
I raised a brow. 'How can you be so sure?' Michael shrugged and didn't answer me vocally. I decided to change the subject. 'I got my mom to decorate the house a little bit...' Michael smiled. 'Oh, and she asks when you pass by again...'
'I will visit you house soon.'

I accepted his answer and crossed the street. The shop we were going provided people to get into the Halloween sphere. Michael took the lead on this one. 'Look at this, Mikey.' He turned and looked at what I was gesturing at. 'Isn't it creepy...' He grabbed the mask. It was white and had black hair. 'You like this one?' he asked and put it on. I shrugged and looked around. 'You have a thing for masks...' I looked back at him. The white mask was way too big for him. 'I will buy it.' He took it off. 'Why? You are going as a clown, right?' He nodded. 'Yeah, but you like the mask, so...' I frowned. 'You don't have to buy it just because I like it.' He didn't reply on that. It was one of his strange habits. He did it a lot, pleasing me. If I was obsessed with something, he wanted to have it. Regardless how attached I was with it. He had box underneath his bed, with things he stole. I once tried to get it back, but he got so mad. It scared the hell out of me, so I let it slide.

We ended up buying my costume and headed home. We went to my place to drop off the milk and I showed my mom the costume. She seemed to like it. 'I am sure you will look pretty,' was her reply before we retreated to my organized room. Michael looked around, 'Please, don't take the book. I haven't finished it yet.' He placed it back on my nightstand and locked the door. I frowned. 'You are my best friend, right?' I nodded slowly while he approached and stopped a yard away from me. 'Would you always be my friend?' I blinked. 'Y-yeah... of course, why do you ask?' I cocked my head to the side and watched him take out a pocket knife. 'Give me your wrist.' I took a step back. 'What are you going to do?'

'Don't you trust me?' he closed the space between us and tightly grabbed my wrist. He turned my arm, so the inside was exposed and started cutting. I gasped and watched the blood drip from the cuts as he smelled the letter 'M' in my arm. 'Now it's forever...' I was speechless and stared at the nasty cut. It hurt a lot. 'Why did you do that?' I grabbed some napkin, pressing it tightly on the wound. Michael stared at his bloodstained pocket knife. 'Because you are 'my' best friend. I don't want you to have any other friends.' I blinked the tears from my eyes. 'But I don't have anyone else. It's just you...' He stuffed his pocket knife back in his pocket and embraced me. 'It should stay that way! Promise me.' He sounded angry and demanded. I only nodded– not able to utter one single word.