Prologue

Surrounded by whitewashed walls, Mazen was in his childhood bedroom all by himself.  He hadn't known nor was informed when it had been stripped of all its furniture and the belongings he had left behind. He stared and stared at the faded patch of paint that was all that remained of the posters of his favourite sports teams.

A little shelf that had held the few books he could afford with his pocket money and a single succulent that he took with him when he moved out, now sat empty; the wood discoloured at its edges.

He had decided he would never step in this space again. And he had done very well on his promise for the past many years. After all, he had his worst memories here. Losing his mother, and with it his entire childhood, was not something Mazen had grown out of, no matter how much therapy he sought.

But, it was also the only place in the whole world where he wasn't afraid to be his true self, where he could bring all his walls down. and that was something he never wanted to do.

He often wished for a way, even a single one, where it was possible for him to go back in time and change things. That was his deepest desire, something he told no one; to be able to undo what had happened. But try as one might, nothing could be done to change the past.

Nothing at all.

Hi readers,

I am thrilled you chose this book! I hope you'll like reading it as much as I have liked writing it.