CHAPTER 5 THE CALL OF DUTY

Aylward came out of the building dizzy and imbalanced. An overwhelming urge to guard the girl had clouded his senses. His fingers itched and restlessness gnawed his chest. He looked around in the possible directions she could've gone, but everywhere was empty.

An old feeling cranked its neck. He needed to find her before the clenching panic set in. He picked a direction and started to walk. The mouth of an alleyway yawned just a few steps away. His heart lurched thinking about things that happen in alleyways and jogged the remaining steps. From the darkness, a hard boot slammed into his face, causing him to double over. He cupped his nose, uncertain it was broken and looked at his assailant.

It was the girl, absolute fury twisting her features into something unrecognizable.

"hy. Are. You. Following. Me?"

A spray of spittle flew onto his face.

Aylward straightened, but kept covering his nose. It would heal on its own and he did not want the girl to see it. Already he had failed in glamouring himself and couldn't afford any more mistakes.

"I... um... I saw you leave the bar and you were alone, so I thought-"

"You'd play a knight and save me from impending doom." Her hands rested on her hip, anger still colouring her features.

In the name of all good things in heaven. He felt the tug of his guardian bond again. Stronger now, as the girl stood mere steps away.

"Impending doom is perhaps a stretch. No, not that." His nose itched as bones slid back into place. "And even if there was, you seem more than equipped to handle it." Aylward's gaze strayed to her legs.

Dressed in a dark pair of jeans cut off just above the ankle, her legs looked capable of throwing kicks that would very well decapitate any offenders. A maroon top and a dark overcoat offset her flaming hair brilliantly. As Aylward's gaze traveled back to her face, she had a cocky grin. Placing a hand on her heart, she said, "what a gentleman you are!"

Aylward sensed the false sweetness of her speech.

"I only hope you extend the same courtesy to women everywhere you go. What a wonderful place it would make this world."

"Most women would be glad to have someone looking out for them."

"Oh, is that what you're doing? Looking out for me? A stranger you saw once in a public place?"

"It's late. And dark!"

"So then, I assume you will stand out here and escort every woman safely?"

Aylward gaped. Obviously, he wouldn't.

"Because you see, I have no need of your company. But perhaps it will be useful to someone else." The girl turned away. Aylward stood dumbstruck for a beat before he hurried to catch up.

"A lot can happen between here and your walk home, you know. Don't be so quick to turn away my company."

The girl snorted. No girl had ever given Aylward this reaction. His ethereal glow had always stopped people, especially girls. His aura always drew people to him. And yet, this girl was openly mocking and rejecting him.

"One —I'm not walking, I'm driving. And two—I'm not going home," she stopped.

"Okay, let me walk you to your car then. I promise I mean nothing funny. I think you made that very clear when you broke my nose."

The girl narrowed her eyes.

"Fine. It's parked over on that block," she pointed.

"What's your name?" Aylward asked.

"What's yours?" she retorted.

"Aylward."

"Hah! That's a funny name."

"It's an old name. Used in ages past."

The girl spared him a single glance while walking in silence. "Daria," she said quietly enough that he almost didn't hear. Almost.

"This is my car."

It was a shiny gray car, which was about all he knew of human cars. He had preferred the age of horses and carriages. But he had seen a few rich people in the city drive it around.

"Take care," Alyward said. Who says take care to a girl they met moments ago? But the girl nodded as she unlocked her car. When the engine rumbled to life, she rolled down the window. "Sorry about the nose. But you kind of deserved it."

Aylward smiled and watched her drive away, staring long after he couldn't see her.

Save this story to your library so you don't miss out when I post new parts!

If you want to keep up with my writing and other projects follow my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/quillmistress/?hl=en

and twitter: https://twitter.com/shizakhanwrites