Her Betrayal

It had been a long time coming, and I should have known that bitch would one day derail our plans. Katherine never gave up and was as tenacious as I was, but her tenacity was in capturing Anna and me while ensuring our son was taken into custody. Anna's call worried me at first, but my love for her blinded me to the fact that she was betraying me. How could I have been so uninformed? I should have left with our child, leaving her to deal with the consequences. She was aware of the repercussions of being caught, but she could have cared less, which resulted in the end for all of us.

While I waited for Anna, that fateful morning came and went. I knew she had to pack a few things and rent a car, but I estimated her arrival in Oklahoma around 3 p.m. I expected her to walk through that door with open arms, ready to embrace us, but that was not the case. I paced around the room, Nathan in my arms, but I could not shake the unsettling feeling. In part, I wanted to flee, but I was talked out of it by my more reserved side.

During my oblivious position, the feds received the information. They sat outside my motel for hours, hidden, devising a plan for my capture. On the other hand, Anna sat quickly apprehended in Adona, Arkansas. They stormed into our house with guns drawn and slapped the cuffs on her, taking her away. In my ignorance, I had no idea what was happening one state over and wished I had known sooner.

The police loaded Anna into a police car while Katherine stood by. Her smug expression could only be imagined as she watched my wife as they took her away. One of the officers chastised her for returning to Adona, but the others praised her for a job well done. In the end, her determination to capture us led to our downfall, and she realized she had the upper hand.

So, there I was, laying our son in his bassinet for a nap, when a loud bang was heard at my door, "FBI! Open Up!"

I must have appeared foolish as I raced around the room looking for a way out, but there was none; nowhere to hide and nowhere to run. I was caged like a dog, with my end right in front of me. After the door was kicked in, I reached for my son but decided to keep him a safe distance away. As a swarm of officers and feds descended on my room, I fled to the only place I could think of, the bathroom. After two steps, I was on the ground, knees pressed against my back, and guns drawn to my head.

I screamed for my child as one officer grabbed him. Another agent yelled at me to shut up and put my hands behind my back before handcuffing me and bringing me to my knees. I knew it was over, and my heart broke knowing Anna had turned me in or had been apprehended on her way to see us. We should have stuck to the plan, but I had no idea Katherine was to blame at the time.

As I arose to my feet, I heard, "Nathan Michael Hickey, You are under arrest for murder and kidnapping."

 They then said, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? "

My Miranda rights were read to me, but I only heard blah, blah, blah. I refused to respond to the officer, instead staring off into the distance as my life faded further. Death would have been a welcomed surprise, but something in me told me I would see my family again one day. Even though I was angry with Anna, I still adored her. Our love was toxic at times, but it was still strong. It was a rollercoaster ride that I couldn't get off.

They whisked me away to the station in record time. I would later learn that I would be extradited to Arkansas and then to Pennsylvania to face multiple murder and kidnapping charges. At that time, they had no clue about my other offenses in other states, but would later find out. My Bloomsburg house was still in my name, so I decided to hire a lawyer with the equity I had left. I refused to hire a public defender because I knew I would be executed for my crimes if I did.