1 - Sixteen

*Beep beep*

The alarm sounds off on my side table progressively irritating me. I sit up on my tattered sleeping mat,and turn off the clock.

5:30, why make me wake up this early. Just let me sleep forever, please?

I make my way to the bathroom and face my reflection. Did last night really happen or was it all just a terrible dream? My head pounded against my skull. I touch it to try and ease the pain.

The last thing I remember was hands everywhere, just multiple hands. Grabbing and ripping at my clothes and hair. Tearing what I had left of my dignity apart. Ripping and crushing my body and soul. I feel dirty.

I snuck out last night, I know this much. I look over from the bathroom to my window, still halfway open. From there sits a ladder that I climbed down and ran to the woods behind our two story house. I ran to the spot I knew most and met him. He knew me, but did I really know him.

"Since your turning the age in a couple of days, how about a little celebration."

He picks up a plastic cup and pours some kind of brown beverage into it, I'm guessing it's beer.

"How the hell did you get that Tristan?"

"Found it."

"Bullshit, you and I both know that alcohol became illegal three years ago."

"Yeah well, I know people, drink up love."

"You know I don't drink."

"Yeah you don't do anything fun, like for example, you haven't done me yet."

"Really, how smoothly that was presented. To be honest I'm truly impressed."

"Come on please don't be a bitch again tonight and just drink the damn thing!"

I take the cup from his hands and the rest is all hands everywhere but yet contained. Wild but tamed. Soft but sturdy grasping at every part of my body. Then I awoke.

He drugged me, that's the thanks I get for being by his side for two years. Alright this war isn't over. I'll be the one seeing the end of this one.

Tomorrow. Is that really all the time I have left. I wonder what initials will be on my wrist. When the test is over, most people go up to their pre-destined partner and it just happens. It makes me sick. And I'm pretty sure the only reason it happens is because the government makes it. Its not pre-destined, it's forced. Love is just one of the many things that should never be forced.

It amuses me to no end how I say all of this and no action comes out of it. What can I do against them, I'm just one of their machines. Forced to work for their needs.

Damnit I'm rambling in my head again, I need to stop.

Back to reality, I need a shower. I turn on the faucet and step in, letting the water flow around my body.

After getting dressed, I run downstairs. Grabbing my bag and saying a quick goodbye to my baby brother, I rush out the front door and down the road to the education center.

E.C. is supposed to be a better solution to schools cheating everybody out of education by having multiple stress factors including standardized test, seven hours of lectures, and homework to go along with it. In E.C., the only thing you are required to do is have a machine placed on your head for thirty minutes a day until your brain accepts all of the knowledge it is presented with. So with this new system you could finish treatment when you are ten or thirty. It all depends on how willing your brain is to take in the stuff they put in it.