Chapter I: Shattered

Adrien's thoughts were really jumbled up. 

For what seemed like the 10th time that minute, Adrien checked the ring in the red velvet box in front of him. Everything had to be perfect. After thinking about it long and hard, Adrien knew proposing to his girlfriend of 8 years was the best thing to do. 

After all, Kagami had been in his life since they were only 15. She was the one who loved him, who glued his broken heart back together after Ladybug rejected him. 

He was doing the right thing. 

He checked the diamond ring again. He worried Kagami might not like it, that she might not be ready to accept him as a fiance, as a husband. 

But then again, they had been fighting a lot recently. 

She hated that he disappeared when there was an akumatisation, instead of staying home with her. He hated that she couldn't know his biggest secret. But, it was for her own safety, right? Nobody can know. 

Adrien sighed deeply. He knew this diamond ring and the more secure relationship he was going to propose to Kagami will heal whatever crack had formed in their relationship. He checked the time, it was 5 pm. She still hadn't gotten home from her friend's house.

He sighed again and got up. In about 30 minutes he has to leave for a dinner meeting with a fashion designer. After losing his job at the Agreste Fashion Studio, this meeting was going to be his best bet at finding employment. 

He got up, starting to get ready. He put on a slick navy two-piece suit. The more professional, the better. 

5:10 pm. Still no sign of Kagami. 

Adrien tucked the red velvet box in the inside pocket of his coat. The proposal will have to wait. 

* * * 

Adrien walked inside the restaurant. It looked big and expensive to dine in. Not that money was a problem for him and his family. If anything went short, his father had always been able to finance things for him. But he was tired of being babied. He wanted to be independent. 

Lost in thought, he didn't notice when a certain bluenette with the deepest blue bell eyes approached him.

'Adrien!" her voice rang in his ears, as he looked at her with a smile that reached his eyes. 

"Marinette!" He quickly advanced towards her and enveloped her in a hug. "Oh Marinette, it's been so long!"

They stood like that for seconds, before they pulled away. The slight blush on Marinette's cheeks reminded Adrien of the last time he had seen her, at their high school graduation. 

"O-oh Adrien, you haven't changed at all.." Marinette murmured, taking in his look. From his combed, short blond hair and his prominent cheekbones and his sharp jawlines, to his tall build. 

"What are you doing here, Marinette?" He looked around. "Are you alone?"

Marinette smiled, and shook her head. "I'm with you," she said. "I-I mean, I'm interviewing you!" she covered up, flustered. 

"Interviewing me?"

"Yes, for your modelling job..." she trailed off, watching his expression change from confusion to shock, to realisation. 

"You work for the Bourgeois Corp? No way!"

Marinette giggled. She was right, he hadn't changed at all. He was still handsome in the most endearing ways ever. 

"Yep! You're looking at Audrey Bourgeois' secretary!" 

She expected him to smile. To congratulate her. To laugh more. But he didn't. His expression suddenly turned serious and grim. He noticed her looking at him confused and worried, so he shook his head. "Let's get on with this interview."