0. Job from the newspaper

Allison needed to find a job after leaving her hometown. Almost as if it was a sign from a higher being, she went to the newspaper and found one. It seemed easy enough; a babysitter, but she would have a room there. Now she needs to find their guardian for an interview and hope the little ones aren't too much trouble.

* * * * *

I stepped off the bus and took a deep breath. The sky was gray with clouds, obvious that it will start to rain soon. Hopefully not all day. I have to walk until I can find a cheap bike or afford a used car. I gripped the handle of my suitcase tighter as I walked off down the unfamiliar street. It was a good change. I needed a fresh start. I couldn't stay back in my home city. I closed my eyes and sighed, dropping my shoulders. I don't want to think about that right now. I just got here.

My stomach growled. Perfect timing. I looked around, trying to find something that seemed appetizing and cheap. I straightened up seeing a coffee place, dragging my suitcase (with wheels, luckily) behind me. The bell chimed above me, causing a few people to look in my direction. That made me feel embarrassed for some reason, but they quickly looked away in disinterest. I must blend in already, I thought with a soft smile. I turned to glance outside and noticed a drizzle started. Good thing I'm inside already.

I slowly walked to the line in front of the counter. I read the entire menu twice before deciding on a caramel cappuccino. When it was my turn I stuttered, and despite my face feeling hot the cashier was patient. I paid, thanked them, and waited by the corner of the counter until they called my order. The coffee was warm against my fingers and was smooth as I sipped it. It was delicious! Worth it.

I took a seat by the window to watch the rain, which grew heavier as the sky darkened. Someone had left a newspaper on the counter. I picked it up, scanning through it as I drank my coffee. My eyes glazed over the small advertisements until they landed on the job offerings. I set my drink down, giving my full attention to reading the descriptions. Finally, I saw one that wasn't fast food or retail.

Live-In Nanny

Provide care to 2 children (boy & girl) while staying in the home. Assist with their daily routine as well as household chores. Payment daily starts at $20 an hour. Contact through the phone number below only.

I pursed my lips together. I was a substitute teacher for three years and had babysitting and housesitting experience. It wouldn't hurt to call the number. If that didn't go well, some jobs worked the night shift. It would take some getting used to, and I would probably spend half my paycheck on caffeinated drinks. I'll focus on this right now.

I typed the phone number into my phone and hit the call button. It rang multiple times. I was starting to worry about the possibility of having to leave a message. If I didn't, my number could get blocked. Spam callers have been horrendous. My train of thought was cut off as the call was accepted. I heard an older, tired man's voice on the other side.

"This is Will Miller. What are you calling for?" He asked in a monotone voice. I gave a nervous smile, despite not being face-to-face with him.
"Good morning! My name is Allison Berner, I'm calling about the job application for the live-in nanny position." I used the best people-pleasing voice I could manage. Phone calls are a bit awkward. I heard shuffling on the other side, and he let out a long sigh.
"Interview's at 11. I'll text the address." He said. He hung up immediately. I assume he doesn't like talking on the phone either.

I processed the conversation for a moment before I smiled. Feeling excited, and nervous, I went back to sipping my coffee and watching the rain fall. My phone pinged with a notification. I peered down at it, reading the message. I have the address, now I need to kill some time. The interview is in 2 hours.