Chapter Three

As we prepared to dance and throw money into the maid of honor's apron. I tried to take deep breaths and steady my heart rate. All we had to do was dance around happily and throw a bit of money, and then I could return to the calming sanctity of my own seat, all the way on the opposite side of the room from Nicholas.

He leaned in towards me and whispered, "I've never done this before, what exactly is happening?"

"Oh, um." I couldn't get the words out. Despite knowing exactly what to say, I couldn't do it. My throat tightened overwhelmingly, and I felt both feint and burning hot. This was honestly quite depressing, considering I was almost an expert on Bazan family weddings, with how many I've attended over the years.

In a desperate attempt to recover from my social failure, I split my wad of money in half and passed some to him. Our hands brushed, and I felt numerous callouses, unmistakably resulting from a firm grip on a hockey stick. A fresh wave of fondness swept through me, so much so that I was moved to speak. It's a true money dance miracle! I thought.

"Basically, when the music starts, we dance and throw the money towards the woman in the center. She'll collect it and present it to Joanna and Dominik, as a gift and show of well wishes for their marriage."

He whispered his thanks, and the music began, giving me time to relax and stop myself from doing cartwheels up and down my babcia's backyard.

Nicholas was a terrible dancer, although it pained me to admit it. He was totally off rhythm, and his legs were too stiff while his arms moved about at utterly confusing angles. Laughter sprouted out of me like a weed before I could even register what was happening.

He shot me an accusatory look. "Are you making fun of my moves, Kasia? I'll have you know that this is very popular with the guys on the team."

"This isn't Michigan, Nicholas. This is Wisconsin." I replied, the words slipping out without the slightest hint of nerves. Where did that come from? Wow! Kasia: 1, Evil anxiety-inducing hormones in my brain: 0

"Aww don't call me Nicholas, that's so...formal. Call me Nicky."

"I'm not calling you what your hockey buddies call you." I laughed.

"Are we not buddies, Kas?" He teased.

I froze for a second. What was the right move here? I obviously wanted to be close with him, but not buddies, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

I settled on, "We just met, Nicholas." He traced a fake tear down his cheek, and we both laughed.

My first real, substantial conversation with a boy I liked was tragically cut short as the family's worst nightmares came true. Thunder crashed through the sky with abrupt command, and it began to pour.

"Shit." I murmured.

Everyone collectively started towards the house, complaining loudly with bags and suit jackets over their heads in feeble attempts to stay dry.

In all the fervor, Jo had left her bouquet on the table and there was lots of money abandoned on the ground. I grabbed the collection of orange roses and knelt down to pick up several muddy bills.

"Kasia." Nicholas spoke. "Just leave it, you'll catch a cold."

"It's better to clean up now rather than later." Though he was probably right, it felt fundamentally wrong to leave a terrible mess in my babcia's backyard.

He sighed. I turned back to the money, assuming he had given up and gone inside with the others.

I was wrong. I felt him beside me before I saw him. He placed his suit jacket over both our heads and quickly scooped up the remaining money in his large hands. My heart squeezed violently, and I felt like giggling.

"Oh, Nicholas, I'm sorry. You don't have to. Go back inside."

"I can't just leave you."

"Okay," was all I could manage.

We finished collecting the money, and he helped me to stand.

"Thanks!" I squeaked. I hate everything.

As we walked back to the house, he turned to me. "So, since I totally saved your ass back there," he smiled. "I think you owe me a favor."

Anything. I thought, and then directly after that. Oh my god, shut up.

"Huh?" I responded, looking up at him.

"Call me Nicky, please. Nicholas makes me sound old."

"How about Nick?" I suggested. I didn't want to be call him what everyone else did. It seemed strange, somehow. This seemed like a good compromise.

"So, in order to get what I want do I have to slay a beast, or find the secret to immortality, or what?"

Despite his joking, he still seemed so warm and genuine, his brown hair slicked to his forehead from the rain and his eyes so green and clear and focused. Focused on me. I felt so lucky in that moment, all I could do was beam at him. "Don't worry, Kas," He reassured. "I've never been afraid of monsters."

Hehehehehehehehehe.

We headed back towards the house without a word, shivering from the cold but happy.

In the window, my Babcia stood watching us, a wicked smile pointed right at me. We passed by her, and she gave the biggest, most exaggerated wink I've ever seen in my life. My brothers popped out from behind her and stuck their tongues out at us mockingly.

I should have never left Michigan.