Wammy's House

(Please excuse me if any information in this chapter happens to be inaccurate, I have limited sources. Though, in all honesty, nobody truly has reliable information on the happenings at Wammy's house...)

There is no doubt that strange things happen at Wammy's house. Strange, intellectual, wonderful things, things so unexpected, things you must think twice or thrice about in order to make sense of them. Even then, a typical civilian would fail to understand.

Lawliet placed the final piece of his jigsaw puzzle, gifted to him by Mr. Wammy. The puzzle contained over 3000 pieces. He called Mr. Wammy to show him the accomplishment. 

"Goodness.. I gave you that puzzle less than half an hour ago." The man was shocked, to say the least, but over time, he became acclimated to Lawliet's brilliant mind. 'Brilliant' may be an understatement. "Did you enjoy it?"

"Very much, Mr. Wammy. It was much more... intellectually rigorous, than the previous one. Perhaps I will take it apart and reassemble it." 

"I could possibly give you something more difficult, maybe a model of some sort?"

"Building models does not exactly pertain to my interests the same way a jigsaw puzzle does. Models very often come with instructions - with puzzles, you must analyze the details yourself, with no external assistance. I appreciate the offer, nonetheless." Lawliet turned to his computer.

"Very well. Remember to eat."

"I would never forget to eat, Mr. Wammy." Wammy chuckled, and left Lawliet to his coveted solitude. This was true - the young boy was always very eager for his food, especially sweets. It raised some concern about his health, but surprisingly, Lawliet was one of the healthiest, strongest children at the orphanage.

Lawliet remained in his room for most of the time. The other children thought he was eccentric. They ridiculed him very often, unaware of the genius that lay in Lawliet's mind, far exceeding their own.

When Lawliet did emerge from his isolation, the other children paid him attention - often negative attention. Lawliet did not seem to care. It may be that they were afraid of him, or that they found him unusual, which was obvious. Whichever it is, he did not return their attention. Lawliet would ignore them and proceed with his own duties.

While he ate his supper, Lawliet thought to himself. I wonder if there is anyone else out there like me.. He pushed his food with his utensils, holding the fork with the very tips of his fingers. Lawliet ignored the stares of the other children. I wonder if there is anyone who could pose a true challenge, a real challenge. That is what I desire most.

After eating, Lawliet went directly back to his room. The window revealed the outside world, veiled in the darkness yet lit by the stars. Undoubtedly, he thought, the other children would be heading to bed soon. He continued to stare at the screen, absentmindedly absorbing the information on it. Lawliet seldom slept. He rarely felt tired, or at least, tired enough to fall into slumber. But now, he was tired in a different way. Tired as though he wanted something new, tired of this routine he followed day after day. He wanted something fresh to take interest in. Lawliet stared at the criminal profiles with no real intent of reading them.

Lawliet eventually drifted into unconsciousness many hours later. He awoke at the sound of the other children at play, and the smell of Wammy's freshly brewed coffee. The same smell as every morning, he thought. A bitter smell.

He opened the door to his room and stumbled to the dining table, pulling out a chair. Lawliet sat down in his own strange way, crouching over his knees. Mr. Wammy sat by him, his face hidden by the daily newspaper.

"Good morning, Lawliet. Did you sleep at all?"

"Yes, a bit. It made me more fatigued than I initially was."

"Perhaps you should sleep more often. Would you like to hear what I've read in the news this morning?"

"Yes, please." The news was not fascinating most times, but occasionally, there was a case that caught the interest of Lawliet.

"I'm reading about another child in the paper, he's apparently exceeding the other children in his age group by several years' worth of schooling. He's a very bright young boy, about your age - a bit younger actually. Supposedly a true genius. Similar to you."

"Really?" Lawliet recalled his thoughts of the previous night. Similar to me, he thought. "What's his name?"

"He lives in Japan.. his name is Light Yagami."

"Light Yagami.." Lawliet shifted in his seat. "It's a shame he lives so far away."

"You're right. I'm sure you two could be very good friends."

"I'm sure.." Lawliet said. "Perhaps.. we will meet someday."

"Perhaps."