What If ?

I sigh as I fall onto the lumpy bed. I seriously can't remember the last time I slept.

Thank God Wanda 'convinced' that hotel worker to let us in for free.

I roll over on the bed - catching a glimpse of Wanda settling into he other twin bed. Stupid Pietro got his own room - I guess he kind of deserves it though. With how many times he has saved me from trouble.

Wanda turns out the light and mumbles a quick "Go to sleep." before adjusting herself in the bed.

"It's just amazing how comforting you are sometimes." I mutter before a pillow hits me in the face.

"Shut up." are the final words I hear from her before she falls asleep herself.

I want to go to sleep myself but for some reason I just can't. It's weird how when the lights are turned off my brain just goes into overdrive. Take now for example.

My head is just filled with hundreds f questions, most of them starting with 'what if?'

My whole life - my very existence seems to be just one big 'What if?' question. What if the Avengers take us away again. What if they just take me away or Wanda or Pietro? How would we survive with one of us missing? What if Hydra comes back for us? Are they still even around anymore? If they are, would they be considered an enemy? What would happen to us if we were taken back to work for them again? It wasn't exactly all that bad when we left. But what if we have to start back at square one - the constant threat of death looming over all of our heads if any of us took a single step out of line. I shudder - repressing the memories.

I suddenly become aware of all of the memories I have to push out of my mind. The bombing of my hometown. The agony of being told that my parents and practically none of my friends had made it out of the wreckage that they used to call home. The anxiety of being in that cell and the pain of first gaining my 'gift'. The dread in the faces of my siblings when they saw that I was only a few minutes away from death.

I groan at all of the recollections of my haunting past suddenly making me feel like I was drowning. Is that all I am now? A young orphan with no parents a haunting past and an even darker future. That's it - that's all I have to say about myself.

I shiver before the comfort of sleep pulls me into the darkness.

Dream

A feeling of pure terror washes over me as soon as I lift my head up. I am in a completely demolished city - rubble from the buildings and roads lie everywhere. Cars are over turned and streets lights lay facing down on the ground. In the center of it all is my biggest fear coming to life. Wanda and Pietro are being hauled away by Ultron of all people.

Why him? Isn't he with us? That isn't even the least of my worries. Both of my siblilings are calling out my name - screaming for me to help them. I make a move to run forward - towards them but I can't move - not even an inch. I try using my gift but it doesnt work. Why of all times must it not work now!? I open my mouth to scream out in frustration but nothing comes out. I am completely and udderly useless.

Ultron turns a corner with my brother and sister in tow - now they have disappeared completely. This is around the time that I am able to move. I sprint toward where I saw them last - praying that I am not to late.

It turns out that I am because when I turn the corner all three of them have vanished. I turn in slow circles - frantically searching for them in any nook and cranny my eyes can reach.

A few seconds after I skimmed over a skyscraper for any signs of life I hear heavy footsteps approaching me. I turn to see none other than Ultron.

"Where are they?!" I ask - too furious to be scared of him.