Chapter Three - Dancing With the Devil

The Mafia celebration that they would be talking about for years. Everyone who was anyone in the Syndicate would be there tonight. It was the party that signified the next GodFather's first high-profile crime, an initiation. In this case, Stephano's kidnapping and ransom, and eventual murder of this young girl. However, Father had also pointed out that this would be an "excellent opportunity" for me to meet a possible suitor, and since this is another evening for recruitment or promotion, every young man would be there to impress. Since our Father is Godfather, we all have to look our absolute best. This means long dresses, heels, and tuxedos. I began the process of getting ready at four pm. I put on a just-above-ankle black satin dress, with a high slit with some black stilettos. The one fashion lesson that my mother taught me was to accessorise. The diamond necklace that can double as a real 'choker', my ring that has a screw - off diamond with a poisonous spike in the center, and my garter equipped with a ruby -handled dagger. You never know who might show up to these parties and their intentions, especially under the influence of alcohol and other substances, I mean, we are part of a major drug trafficking organization, so who could really be surprised. After I had finished my makeup which was a dark red lip and a smoky eye, I met up with Father who was my escort for tonight. We were going to be riding in the red Ferrari that was my father's first automobile theft. Symbolic for tonight, I suppose. Before we left the parking spot, my father pulled out of his pocket a cigar and lit it. He took a long puff of it before exhaling it.

" Are you ready?" he asked me.

"For what? Of course I'm ready. I have to look beautiful tonight. That's not something to be ready for."

"No not that Allesandra. Are you ready to be second in command? After this, Stephano becomes the Godfather."

I smirked, "Of course I know that Papa. That's the whole point of tonight isn't it? The initiation process."

"Yes, Allesandra, but look at me." He grabbed my chin and turned my face towards his, "If Stephano fails this or he is killed, this means that you will become the Godmother. The crown will fall upon your head. You will run this syndicate. I need you to understand how serious this is. This is the next generation of Romano's. We need you to be victorious as ever. We cannot be second best. We need to be perfection. Something for people to idolise."

"Godmother?"

"Yes."

Father let go of my face and put the keys into the ignition, turning the car on. Once we got onto the main road, my hair started whipping around in the wind. This reminded me of freedom. It seemed like it was ironic. My hair was celebrating its last night of being carefree, before it had to be put back and grow up.

- - - -

Once we arrived at the club, my father pulled into a parking lot around the back of the building. We got out of the car and my father locked the doors.

"Game faces on Allesandra" my father muttered as we got to the front door. As I was a couple steps ahead of him, I turned my neck around to stare at him, my smirk clearly conveyed that I had my charisma pumping. The doorman saluted my father and gave a little bow to me before opening the door to the club. A live jazz band was playing in the corner while the smell of expensive perfume, alcohol and cigar smoke hit my nose immediately. While it wasn't unpleasant, it was stifling. As soon as the guests felt the gust of cold air as we entered, all the heads turned in our direction. All eyes were on us. So I lifted up my chin and sashayed into the crowd while my father found his closest colleagues to presumably get handed a flute of champagne as a toast to his son's success. I decided to do a perimeter sweep before finding my cousins who were all tipsy from martinis.