Angelborn

Gwendolyn Rackzyr was mad; the whole school could tell. Pencils were shaking; chalk dust was flying from the erasers that were bouncing. Who could blame her for being mad? She had just caught her boyfriend of three weeks making out with the lead cheerleader, Pamela Higginson. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

          Calm yourself, she thought to herself. I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for all this. I’m not exactly sure what, but- CRACK! A resounding slap knocked her off her feet. Ow.

                Everyone stopped to watch the scene unfold. Gwen picked herself up, brushed off her pants, and let out her pent up breath slowly, focusing on the sound of her breathing, in sync with the wind that blew. Everything stopped shaking abruptly. Pamela stood over her, only half an inch even in her three inch heels a smirk painted on her slobbery lip glossed lips. A nasty look came into her eyes and Gwen knew instinctively that a fight was inevitable. She dropped into a slight crouch, preparing to fight. She positioned one foot carefully in front of her back leg, pointing her toe at Pam.

Oh God, she’s gonna try and kill me if given half the chance, Gwen thought half panicked. A sudden calm passed through her. Blessings on you, Dad, for teaching me how to fight; unfortunately you didn’t know how soon I’d need those skills. Her back leg tensed. She saw Pam’s first move without even thinking. A right handed feint, very faux pas. The snap of a pocketknife opening drew her attention to the left hand; a three inch Swiss army blade with serrated edge, perfect for slicing and dicing.

Or mincing and mangling, she thought with dry humor. Pam’s next move sent her reeling with shock. Her right hand darted forward and grabbed Gwen’s left. She then put the knife in her hand, and drew it towards her neck. Good God she’s gonna commit suicide and make it look like my fault! Her eyes widened in horror. She pulled back instinctively, yanking hard with all her might. The principle materialized in front of them.

“What are you two doing?!” he cried horrified. “Gwen! How dare you-"

“I did nothing wrong!” She squawked. “This is her knife! And I’d appreciate it if you would help!”

The principle seemed in shock. Suddenly Gwen’s closest and only friend Ben leapt from the jeering crowd and pulled with all his might on Gwen’s arm. The knife went flying across the school yard and embedded itself deep into the bark of an elm tree. Pam’s mouth fell slack with astonishment. Gwen and Ben fell in a heap on the grass.

“Benjamin!” the principle was furious. “For interfering you have detention for the remainder of this school year! I’m truly ashamed of you.”

“But, Sir-!” Ben began, rising to his feet.

“No buts’, Mister, march yourself straight to detention hall this instant. And you,” he said turning on Gwen, “get out of my school district! I’m sorry to say this, but young lady, you are expelled!”

Pam burst into tears which it was plain to see were faked. The principle turned to her with a tender expression. “Oh Pamela dear, come with me, there’s no need to cry. That bad girl is no worry to you anymore,” he said, soothing her, and talking to her as though she were a very young child.

Huh. Great, I don’t care about this hellhole of a school anyways. To hell with the lot of you, except for Ben, my only friend, she thought sadly.

“Gwen!” a voice called. She turned toward the sound just as Ben picked her up and spun her around. All her pent up tears suddenly broke through the dam, and spilled down her cheeks. “Gwen what’s wrong? What did the principle say to you?”