Chapter One-Two Years

Gorou's name is pronounced: Go-Rue
Malkah's name is pronounced: Mocha
Italiacs is English

Chapter One

Ten Years Old-

Fire. A substance that chemically combines with oxygen that typically gives out a bright light, heat, and smoke. Fire burns, and burns, and burns. It ignites your flesh and melts it to the meat of muscles, fusing flesh to bone. One would be lucky to fall victim to smoke inhalation before the terrifyingly beautiful element consumed them.

Pyrophobia was the first struggle Malkah forced herself to get over. Dying by the burning element leaving a scar on her subconscious she had to force herself to work through.

Having awoken in the dark freezing alley of a city she only vaguely remembered seeing on black ink and white pages, she knew if she didn't find a source of heat soon she'd die yet again, this time of hypothermia.

Searching the forest of towing buildings and empty city streets covered in snow, led the distracted shivering pre-teen into the back of a scruffy older boy. The feeling of striding directly into a brick wall sent the startled weak child directly to her butt with a startled breath. The recently awakened girl mumbled out a stuttered "S..sorry". Brown lips turning blue, struggled to get the words out.

Glaring eyes bore into her quaking body as wide eyes looked up at the person she'd run into. (She'd eventually learn that the boy wasn't glaring, it was simply his face.) Four short bleeding scratches took up the space of his tanned cheek, as well as other scuff marks. Older looking scars scattered across his face revealed themselves as he turned fully toward her. The scruffy boy eyed the smaller girl. Sharp red eyes taking in her thin pajama pants, soaked through Pikachu slippers, sleeveless top and shivering form.

Malkah flinched ever so slightly as he dropped into a crouch directly in front of her. Hands placed firmly in his black hoodie pocket; he stared intently at her. That was the moment she got a clear look at him. Dark green hair hugged his face and square jaw. The dark strands jutted out at odd angles across his head, hiding a pair of small flesh colored horns on either side of his forehead. The mane of green locks stopping at his broad shoulders. Two Orc like tusks protruded from his bottom lip and over the top one.

Malkah shifted, bringing her hands to her chest in a failed attempt to warm up her chilling fingers. That was when he spoke. "You're not from around here are you?" She took a moment to respond, quickly dissecting his words through his heavy eastern accent. Japanese?

Malkah simply shook her head, not feeling any reason to lie to him. For as long as she could remember she was pretty good at judging one's character, and he hasn't set off any alarm bells in her head. Not only that, but she was definitely muttering her apologies in perfect English, so her misplacement would be quite obvious. "N..no." Her eyes closed at the sound of her voice, high pitched yet soft and quiet; alien to her ears.