Chapter 11

This is gonna get a bit dark. No self harm, but mentions of physical abuse and some serious emotional distress. You've been warned.

Max

Now I've heard some crazy stories before, but this seems like a conspiracy theory. Of course, the more I think about it, the more likely it is that Noah would pull something like this.

During the month and a half of not seeing Duffy, not seeing his beautiful face, hearing his gentle laugh, or feeling his soft lips on mine... it's been making me miserable.

I'd lay awake in my bed for hours, barely sleeping, just going through the motions, my world fading back to its dull and mundane colors, darkness returning once again to envelop my mind and heart.

I started doubting myself, questioning whether it was something I said or did, but I genuinely couldn't think of anything I've said to make him hate me.

The not knowing was tearing me apart, and I needed to have him back in my life. Even if it was just as acquaintances. But instead, it seems like he's cut everyone off. He locked himself in his room and he hasn't left at all. He wasn't even talking to his best friends!

Of course, now, as I stand with both his and my friends outside of his room, I gently knock on his door.

"What do you want?"

I try not to let his cold tone discourage me.

"H-Hey, Duffy... can we talk, please?"

It takes a while, but he cracks open the door. "M-Max?"

I offer a soft smile. "Hey..."

His eyes widen, then he slams his door shut. I hold my breath, wondering what he's doing. After a few minutes, I turn to leave when he finally opens his door. "Well? Are you all going to stand outside my room or are you coming in?"

Sheila, Theo, Eliza, River and I all glance at each other, then one by one we enter his room.

I sit down across from him, our friends sitting down on each side.

"Tell me what the last thing I said to you was."

He looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "You're not serious, are you? You don't remember telling me how you needed space? That you thought you were bi, but you're still figuring it out? That's why you stood me up on that date."

I can now confidently say that I know what happened.

"Duffy..."

I reach out to gently grab his hand, only to recoil with a stinging pain as he slaps my hand away.

"No. You don't get to hurt me anymore. None of you can."

I sigh. "Did you ever think that there's a possibility that Noah's to blame here?"

He scoffs. "Of course. And who's to say that you're trying to redirect my anger away from you? Why would you even bother coming here?"

"Because I love you!"

The confession hangs heavily in the air, stunned silence deafening in my ears.

"I came here to make things right. I would never intentionally hurt you. Mentally, emotionally, or physically."

He scoffs, driving a dagger deep into my heart.

"You don't love me. You love the idea of loving me. You want to fix me, make me better... and that's implying that I'm broken. So no, you don't love me. You just want someone to fix."

My breath catches in my throat, eyes burning with the threat of tears. "Duffy..."

"Get out of my room."