Prologue

12 years earlier

"Samantha!" Charlie shouted. "Please tell me you're doing what I think you're doing!"

Sam couldn't stop the wide smile forming on her face, even if she tried. "I am indeed my friend," she winked, turning her face back to the bare torso laid on the table in front of her.

With one big gulp, Sam swallowed the strawberry-flavoured shot which had been balancing on the young woman's body. The room erupted with shouts and screams of encouragement.

"Well, that was delicious," Sam whispered in the girl's ear still laying in front of her. The young woman looked back hungrily at her. Sam gave her a quick peck on the cheek before turning back to Charlie with a shit-eating grin, oh, and an undeniable buzz from the half dozen strawberry shots coursing through her body. God, life was good at nineteen. With her body moving to the music, Sam danced her way over to her best friend.

Sam and Charlie had met on the first day of Freshers Week. They'd got on so well that by the end of the week, Charlie had offered Sam the spare room in her flat.

For Sam, it was a no brainer. She could move out of her mum's house, for one. Secondly, Charlie's parents-who were ultrarich-were paying for everything. No rent, no bills, and one hell of a new friend. Sam was living the dream.

"You are like my gay hero," Charlie gushed at Sam as they settle against the kitchen worktop, pouring copious amounts of an unknown brown liquid into two plastic cups.

"Oh, I want a superhero name."

"Lady Leztacular!" Charlie cried as she jumped into the air, thrusting her fist skywards like a toddler on a sugar rush. Charlie was clearly starting to feel the effects of the alcohol she'd consumed.

"Keep that one on the back burner," Sam laughed, watching her friend attempt to do a superhero pose but failing. Charlie was about to respond, but was cut off by a very attractive young woman who stepped into the space between her and Sam.

"Hi," the woman purred, speaking only to Sam.

"Hi," Sam replied with a brief grin.

"Want to have a drink with me?" She was looking straight into Sam's eyes with a stare that conveyed pure lust.

"That sounds great, but I can't right now. I'm here with my friend, but thanks for asking." Sam reached around the woman to grab Charlie, hugging her tightly to her side.

"Well, that's a shame," the woman said, pouting her lips. Sam had never found pouting attractive.

"Maybe another time?" Sam winked and shot her a killer grin. Charlie could practically see the woman swoon on the spot.

Grabbing Charlie tighter, Sam moved them into the garden through the kitchen door. "You are going to have a string of broken-hearted girls pining after you when you leave Uni," Charlie chuckled.

The air was crisp and cold as they stepped outside, a welcome break from the heat of the house. Sam enjoyed the party atmosphere immensely, but there was only so much she could endure, given the number of bodies that were crammed into such a small space.

Sam took in a big lungful of air before slowly letting it back out. A sense of calm washed over her. Charlie had found a garden chair and had slung herself into it so her legs were dangling over one arm and her back rested against the other. "Nice garden," Charlie continued.

"Yeah, not bad." Sam followed Charlie's gaze. Her ears were ringing from the blaring music. They sat in silence for a few minutes, taking in their surroundings.