Chapter 4. The Manila Drop

"Sorry we're late." ~ Y.B.

December 16th, 2019: Sydney, Australia

I was awoken around 2:30am by someone banging at my door. My eyes snapped open as I stared up at the empty bunk above me. 

"Layla!" My father shouted from the other side of the door before banging on it yet again. I groaned as I pushed a sleeping Max off of my chest and headed to the door. 

"What?" I snapped as I opened the door, blowing a piece of my messy red hair out of my face as I stared annoyed at the man outside of my room. My father had his drive suit on and looked a little annoyed at the attitude I had just given him as he raised an eyebrow, causing me to quickly mutter an apology. 

"Horizon Brave needs back up in Manila. We're being deployed. Are you coming?" A smile quickly overcame my face as I nodded at his question, waiting for any excuse to leave my empty room. 

"Be by the Jump hawks in 20 minutes. I'll meet you there." He said before turning on his heel and walking away, not looking back once. I closed my door and quickly threw on a baggy sweater and a pair of jeans before scooping up Max in my arms and running to the Jump Hawks.

The halls of the Shatterdome were buzzing as Lucky Seven was prepared to be deployed. I attempted to weave in between staff as best as I could, shouting an apology whenever I inevitably bumped into someone. 

"Miss Hansen, please come aboard." The pilot gestured for me to enter his aircraft with a warm smile. Once inside, I placed Max down as he jumped up on the seat beside me, looking out the window. Max seemed a little sad ever since Chuck left to go to the Jaeger academy, so it made me happy to see his little tail wagging again.

-

After what felt like an eternity, we arrived at the Manila Shatterdome around 7am. Luckily, the Kaiju hadn't surfaced near the city yet so that meant there was time. As soon as I exited the Jump Hawk, I was rushed to the LOCCENT where I could watch my father, who was already in the midst of a fight, and make sure he stayed out of trouble. 

Once the head officer had shown me the ropes, I was given a headset so I could listen to the chatter and talk to my dad if necessary. Instantly, I could hear my father shouting profanities at the Kaiju, calling it all sorts of names as he rammed his fist into it's face.

Unfortunately, the two Jaegers were getting their asses kicked and I was getting nervous, worried that something was going to happen to my father and then I'd be alone. I felt every part of my body tense as I stared at the monitors in the LOCCENT, watching as the Kaiju attacked Horizon, attempting to rip the Jaeger apart.

"Hang on!" I heard my father yelling as he tried his best to come to their aid. Before they could make it, there was suddenly a third Jaeger on the monitor that was dropped directly on top of the Kaiju. It let out a painful screech as it's body was crushed by a giant metal machine and I felt relief wash over me.

"Sorry we're late." I heard one of the pilots grunt as their Jaeger's fist met the Kaiju's face.

 "Gipsy, how nice of you to finally join us." I felt my face stretch into an ear to ear smile as the pilots of Horizon greeted their saviour. Ever since Gipsy Danger's launch date, I had been obsessed with that Jaeger. Not to mention that Gipsy's pilots were pretty famous for taking down Yamurashi in 2017. Remembering the battle that was going on, I cleared my throat while trying to contain my excitement. 

"Hey, Yance. What do you say? 4th notch on the belt?" I heard what must have been Raleigh Becket ask his brother. 

"You know it, kiddo." I felt my fists clench as I watched Gipsy's plasma cannon light up shoot at the Kaiju a few times until it fell into the water, Kaiju blue flooding the water around them. Everyone in the LOCCENT cheered as the Jump Hawks were sent out to retrieve the Jaegers.